Replacement Hasegawa decals

spacer.png

I started this 1/48 SBD-3 from Hasegawa about 20 years ago but lost steam on it due to not really satisfied with the way it was turning out. I recently dug it out and did some post shading and it kind of reignited my drive to finish it. Problem is the decals are so far gone, I don't even think the clear coat trick will work, besides I'm missing one of the fuse Nat'l insigs. with the yellow surround for Operation Torch(?). I got a set from Print Scale but the national insignias are to small base on photo reference of 41-S-16. My question is, is there a source for getting replacement parts for Hasegawa kits? A Google search turned up 2 E-Mails, [email protected] which got bounced back and an E-mail to Stevens International, which I'm waiting on a response from (it's only been about 24 hours). Any other sources I can try? The kit number is JT19, fwiw.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Problem is the decals are so far gone

have you  actually tried one out?  Old Hase decals are pretty thick and tough.  You have ones you won't use, try those.  

20 minutes ago, J.P. said:

The kit number is JT19, fwiw.

long gone I think you will find.

20 minutes ago, J.P. said:

I got a set from Print Scale but the national insignias are to small base on photo reference of 41-S-16.

Print Scale are noted for being sloppy and inaccurate.

As you are in the USA, I would try asking on Hyperscale Plane Trading, they have a large US membership, and given post t0/from US is now really expensive,  I'd look for a US source.

Bear in mind you could use ones from the Accurate Miniatures kit as well

24 minutes ago, J.P. said:

besides I'm missing one of the fuse Nat'l insigs. with the yellow surround for Operation Torch(?)

Use a circle cutter to make a mask, spray yellow and add star.

Just suggestions

HTH

32 minutes ago, J.P. said:

spacer.png

I started this 1/48 SBD-3 from Hasegawa about 20 years ago but lost steam on it due to not really satisfied with the way it was turning out. I recently dug it out and did some post shading and it kind of reignited my drive to finish it. Problem is the decals are so far gone, I don't even think the clear coat trick will work, besides I'm missing one of the fuse Nat'l insigs. with the yellow surround for Operation Torch(?). I got a set from Print Scale but the national insignias are to small base on photo reference of 41-S-16. My question is, is there a source for getting replacement parts for Hasegawa kits? A Google search turned up 2 E-Mails, [email protected] which got bounced back and an E-mail to Stevens International, which I'm waiting on a response from (it's only been about 24 hours). Any other sources I can try? The kit number is JT19, fwiw.

I believe I have that kit. You can have the decals for the cost of postage. I'm in AR USA. Message me here if you want them. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

have you  actually tried one out?  Old Hase decals are pretty thick and tough.  You have ones you won't use, try those.  

long gone I think you will find.

Print Scale are noted for being sloppy and inaccurate.

As you are in the USA, I would try asking on Hyperscale Plane Trading, they have a large US membership, and given post t0/from US is now really expensive,  I'd look for a US source.

Bear in mind you could use ones from the Accurate Miniatures kit as well

Use a circle cutter to make a mask, spray yellow and add star.

Just suggestions

HTH

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have tried the decals, that's why I only have one insig with the yellow surround. I tried making a a circle mask but no matter how I tried, with all the compound curves in the fuselage side, I really couldn't get them to lay right. I didn't even think about the AM kits decals, I'll have to see if and of the AM kits I have in the stash have that scheme. Thanks again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J.P. said:

I didn't even think about the AM kits decals, I'll have to see if and of the AM kits I have in the stash have that scheme.

they did a Torch boxing

@Mycapt65  is exactly the sort of chap I meant on Hypercale,  he's a regular poster there, and here, and a fine fellow,  so you may have a lead on a replacement set as well.

cheers

T

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

they did a Torch boxing

@Mycapt65  is exactly the sort of chap I meant on Hypercale,  he's a regular poster there, and here, and a fine fellow,  so you may have a lead on a replacement set as well.

cheers

T

Yes, I've reached out to him, Thanks again for the help.