Lost onF16 C Block 50

wellzy

The only visible differences I can think of offhand would be the WAR (wide angle raster) HUD and ability to carry LANTIRN AN/AAQ-13/14 on the Block 40 were not carried through to the Block 50.

Some USAF or ANG Block 40s might not have had the 'bird slicer' IFF on the upper nose in front of the canopy, but it would depend on the aircraft being modelled. I think all Block 50s had them.

Also, Block 40s being older airframes had various reinforcements on the upper mid fuselage and sometimes round the nose pitot area, which Block 50s wouldn't have.

Depends on the time frame and which airforce.  Brand new off the assembly line, the only differences in USAF service were the WAR HUD in the Block 40 and LANTIRN Pods.  The Block 50 had the same WAC HUD found in earlier blocks and only carried the HTS pod on the inlet.

If you want to talk today, it's a can of worms.  I'd Google it or start here

For modeling purposes, the only significant differences between the Block 40 and Block 50 would be the stores carried and the larger holographic HUD on the Block 40 (obviously not an external feature, and only noticeable in scale to someone that knows what they're looking at).  In USAF service the Block 40 was unofficially referenced as the "F-16CG" and would be more likely to carry LANTIRN pods on the chin stations, while Block 50 "F-16CJs" were usually tasked with the Wild Weasel role and carried the ASQ-213 HARM Targeting System pod (originally to starboard only).  Later upgrades have brought these to a largely common standard (the "F-16CM").

Edited by CT7567

Thanks  Guys  lm sorry  I have  the  Tamiya  1/48  F 16 C  Block  4o but l  want  to  build  a Block  50  but  l do thank you for  your help  so far.,

Cheers  wellzy  

1 hour ago, wellzy said:

Thanks  Guys  lm sorry  I have  the  Tamiya  1/48  F 16 C  Block  4o but l  want  to  build  a Block  50  but  l do thank you for  your help  so far.,

That's a different question.  I'm assuming you are talking about the Agresssor Boxing with the Black/White/Grey camo box art. Everything you need for a Block 50 is in the box. To build the Block 40 kit as a Block 50 the simplest approach would be to look up the instructions for the Block 50 release on Scalemates and use that instead of the kit instructions. Tamiya's F-16 kits are modular that varied which sprues were included depending on which blocks it was supposed to cover. The Agressor Boxing covers all USAF C models even if the markings are only for a couple specific Blocks. Compared to the Tamiya Block 50 kit I think the only thing you are missing is the weapons sprue with the HTS and HARMS, but those could be found aftermarket if you wanted them.

Edited by Steve McArthur
  • Like 1

The background for the block 40/42 was the need to operate the lantirn system including the navigation - represented in the 2 pods originally seen on these. Originally designated the F-16G. For this they also needed the WAR hud. During the lifetime of the block 40 they also did some design changes which later proved less than stellar, and the solution was to add the reinforcement plates currently seen on the 40/42's.

The block 50/52 was intended as the replacement Wild Weasel, purposbuilt to carry the HTS pod on the right inlet station. This was originally known as the F-16J

The US congress got mad at LM as they got the impression that LM was selling them the F-16 atleast twice, and to counter this the block 40/42's became the F-16CG/DG, while the block 50/52's became the F-16CJ/DJ. 

From the outset, they had different missions; the block 40/42 was to carry and dropp precision guided munitions like GBU's, while the 50/52 was to carry the Wild Weasel role after the retirement of the F-4G. 

In the early 2000, as a follow-on from the MLU program for the F-16A/B, the CCIP program was launched for the block 40/42 and 50/52 fleet, eventually bringing them to the same standard when it comes to the computers and software. Currently both are known as F-16CM/DM, despite each retaining the block specific HUD's. 
As part of the CCIP program, the block 50/52's received the "birdslicers" in front of the canopy, while only some of the 40/42's have received the same, mainly those serving the ANG. 

The block 50/52 also has the strengtheners built into the airframe, which is shown by the bulges on the wing root of the jet. 

This is ofcourse the short version. You can read a lot more on this on www.f-16.net. 

Per today, the US F-16 fleet has been brought closer to block 40/72 standard, even if this block numbering is not used by the USAF/ANG/AFRC. The block 70/72 brings new radar, new computers, new software and more. 

• Like 2