Airfix 1/24 Spitfire IX

Billos

Yellow leading edges and sky band. thanks to @dr_gn for tips on how to get the band straight. Any errors are entirely mine and no reflection on his fantastic skills.!

Roundels applied. Some difficulty with the underwing roundels cos there's a blister bump right where the roundel goes. Not quite figured out how to get that properly situated...

SpitIX_070.jpg

Codes to be applied, all those stencils to be applied, then a matt spray and on to the cockpit canopy... Oh and the radio hatch to fit. Anyone know how high the hatch goes? I have the well known pic of the open radio hatch from the walkaround book, but because of the angle of the pic, that's not clear on showing how far up it opens. Is it just to 90degrees or further?

(spitfirewalkaroundreviewbf_2.jpg)

• Like 1

A disaster. I sprayed matt varnish (AK interactive which was recommended by the model shop), and for some reason it's turned to a white spotty residue. I shook the can up for the full recommended minute, and more, carefully sprayed a thin coat, left it to dry and--- horrible white residue everywhere. It's not a reaction with the paint, because I was able to remove the bulk of it with isoprpoyl alcohol and the paint is untouched... no idea why it has done this.  I've never had anything like this happen before. So it looks like i'm going to have to rub it all down and repaint it.  The only silver lining is it's just (just) the wings and tailplane top surfaces. But it does mean I'm going to have to find a new set of the wing upper roundels. Any suggestions as to what might have happened (and any source for new decals)

SpitIX_071.jpg

• Sad 2

After some work with more isopropyl alcohol, and also paper towel and spit, + polishing papers,  managed to get a smooth surface for repainting.  I have not risked using that spray again. I'll look for something else.

Finished canopy, fitted prop permanently.  Now just waiting for new roundels. Ordered from Hannants. Just got to wait for the Post Office's transatlantic paddle steamer to make its way here..

SpitIX_074.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you sorted out the problem and hope your rounders arrive soon.

I would recommend Windsor & Newton ‘Galleria’ varnish if you can get it over there, it comes in Matt and gloss and can be mixed to vary the finish.

John

13 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I would recommend Windsor & Newton ‘Galleria’ varnish if you can get it over there, it comes in Matt and gloss and can be mixed to vary the finish.

John

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Yes we can get it here. Thanks for the recommendation

• 4 weeks later...

So finally new roundels arrived (Techmod via Hannants) so applied those and the new stencils which also were removed in the repaint. Then with the advice of the staff at Wallack's my local Art store I used a brush on finish  called DEMCO podge. Brilliant! It's intended for finishing actual Art paintings. Does smell a bit vinegary as you apply it, and also looks white and lumpy as it goes on, but dries to a Beautiful smooth matt finish with just the right sheen. Art to the Rescue! I did practice on a "sacrificial victim" first!  It did get me thinking that sometimes we focus too intently on products  specifically targetted at us as plastic modellers, while there are plenty of other non-model products that work. Not to mention cheaper!

SpitIX_096.jpg

RFI pics coming just as soon as I clear a space in the basement for the photo booth!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...