Badger Patriot 105 problem!

Hampshirehog222

Hi all, I have a Badger Patriot 105 airbrush which I use mainly acrylics through. Recently, I have been getting paint or cleaner blowing back through the trigger. At first I thought it was a blockage but now it happens after every use. Ive removed the moisture trap and cleaned the brush thoroughly but I'm not really sure why this happening. Any ideas?

Regards

Mark Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with Badger airbrushes but all the ones I've used have a rubber, nylon or teflon O-ring seal between the paint channel and the trigger. My first guess would be that seal has failed? Does it blow back through the trigger all the time or only when the needle cap is intentionally blocked to force blowback into the cup?

OK, I'm afraid you've got me then! I don't know enough about airbrushes to work out how paint / thinners can make it from the paint chamber into the trigger section without creating back pressure by blocking the needle cap. I still think that O-ring around the needle at the back of the paint chamber might be gone, but I can't explain how air pressure is pushing or pulling the paint through there, and it would seem logical that it has one fault causing the issue, not two separate ones. Unless maybe somehow in the time it's been dormant a whole bunch of seals have perished. Does it bubble in the cup as well?

1 hour ago, Hampshirehog222 said:

Intially yes. Strip it down. Clean it out. Put it back together again. It then sprays ok for 10/15 minutes and the problem starts again......

Is the paint contaminated?

In any event, I recommend the troubleshooting page of Don's Airbrush Tips. He also has a review of the Badger Patriot that my be useful.

• 1 month later...
On 27/07/2023 at 23:58, dnl42 said:

Is the paint contaminated?

In any event, I recommend the troubleshooting page of Don's Airbrush Tips. He also has a review of the Badger Patriot that my be useful.

Sorry for the late reply. Don's airbrush tips identified the problem. Bought a new needle bearing seal fitted it and, Hazzah! Problem solved. Many thanks for all your help guys.

• Thanks 1