Rake Angle for A-10C Front Landing Gear Strut?

Curt B

I'm working on my Academy A-10C, and there seems to be a bit of 'play' in the front landing gear strut.  I'm pretty sure that the strut is not perfectly vertical with respect to the ground, but I've been unable to determine what the actual 'rake angle' (using motorcycle terminology) is for this strut on the A-10C.  Does anyone know?  No one else seems to have a concern with this, and maybe I'm just not aligning the parts exactly correctly, but I'd really like to know what that angle really is.  Any help out there? 

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Hi Andre, yes it does help somewhat.  I have the great Jake Melampy book about the A-10, which has several photos similar to the one you provided the link for, and it's a great image, no doubt, and clearly shows that the front strut has SOME amount of rake, that is, the strut is angled a bit 'forward' ,as opposed to making a fully 90 degree angle with the ground.  Ideally, though, I'd like to know how much of an angle, in actual degrees, the strut makes with respect to the ground.  I know I'm being way too anal about this, and using the photo you sent, along with some I have, may end up being the best I'm going to find, which isn't the end of the world.  Thank you so much for replying, Andre!

By the way, Wikipedia sometimes shows line drawings of airplanes from top, bottom and sides, sometimes with wheels down, and Eduard often, in their instructions, provide similar types of line drawings, intended to ensure that modelers know the angles that landing gear need to be at to be accurate.  I've just never seen such line drawings like that  for the A-10.

Edited by Curt B

4 hours ago, Curt B said:

Ideally, though, I'd like to know how much of an angle, in actual degrees, the strut makes with respect to the ground.

Oh, I totally understand where you're coming from! I think most of us here do.  :) 

I pulled out my WAPJ thingy - the drawings give a rake of 2 percent. However, the photo I linked to earlier appears to be at a more acute angle. 

Ain't references fun. 

Cheers,

Andre

5 hours ago, Hook said:

Oh, I totally understand where you're coming from! I think most of us here do.  :) 

I pulled out my WAPJ thingy - the drawings give a rake of 2 percent. However, the photo I linked to earlier appears to be at a more acute angle. 

Ain't references fun. 

Cheers,

Andre

Andre....references are, indeed, fun!  Especially when they don't give you what you need!!!!  ARGHHHHHH!!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I think you’re probably better measuring it from a photo and replicating that than relying on drawings. This seems like a good one:

071030-F-1234S-015.JPG

https://media.defense.gov/2007/Oct/30/2000435686/-1/-1/0/071030-F-1234S-015.JPG

best,

M.

Thanks, M!    I think this is the best photo I have seen, which comes as close as possible to a full-on 'perpendicular to the camera' side view of an A-10.  I think I can finally use this photo to come up with a close to accurate rake for the front strut.  Again, many, many thanks!!!

• Like 1

I imported the Detail and Scale plans, as well as about half a dozen pictures from Flickr that were as close to perpendicular as possible into Inkscape and measured the depicted angle.

What I came up was that the landing gear is angled 8 degrees forward from vertical when referenced to the lower surface of the fuselage.

If somebody else has something where it actually written down, please correct me if I am wrong, cheers and happy modelling!

Hoops

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hoops said:

I imported the Detail and Scale plans, as well as about half a dozen pictures from Flickr that were as close to perpendicular as possible into Inkscape and measured the depicted angle.

What I came up was that the landing gear is angled 8 degrees forward from vertical when referenced to the lower surface of the fuselage.

If somebody else has something where it actually written down, please correct me if I am wrong, cheers and happy modelling!

Hoops

Wow, thanks for going to that extent to come up with a number that I requested, whether you did it for me or for yourself.  I'm sure it took you some time to do this, but it's super appreciated, sir!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1