Tail Decal Advice Needed

Hi all

My Revell 767-300 is about to go into the paintshop to be painted in this United Airlines old livery.

However, I'm looking for some advice regarding the tail decal. The decal sheet that I'm using has the tail decal as a complete item, which I'd planned to apply on a white background, then trim to size after placement. However, this worries slightly regarding how neat the trimming will look.

So I'm thinking as an alternative, trim the decal before placement up to the point where the golden globe starts, then apply onto a blue tail. However, this also worries me whether the thin white curved lines of the globe will be lost on a blue background.

Any advice or alternative recommendation would be gratefully received !

Regards 

Gary.

Can you post an image of the decal or a link to it on the manufacturer's website?

Also is the decal laser or screen printed?

Laser decals can't reproduce white so if your decal is laser printed you have to apply it on a white background which will then show through to give you the white curved lines.

Dave G

15 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Can you post an image of the decal or a link to it on the manufacturer's website?

Also is the decal laser or screen printed?

Laser decals can't reproduce white so if your decal is laser printed you have to apply it on a white background which will then show through to give you the white curved lines.

Dave G

The decals are laser printed, so many thanks regarding their inability to print white.

Just out of interest, here are the decals in question:

Regards

Gary

United Airlines Decals

You could do a copy of the tail decal on plain paper,then cut out the tail piece and put it on the tail of the model.

This way you will see if and where and/or how much will be needed to be trimmed.

Then use the copy as a template for the original decal.

This works mostly very well for me,esp. also when complicated painting/ masking is needed.

Alex

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

You could do a copy of the tail decal on plain paper,then cut out the tail piece and put it on the tail of the model.

This way you will see if and where and/or how much will be needed to be trimmed.

Then use the copy as a template for the original decal.

This works mostly very well for me,esp. also when complicated painting/ masking is needed.

Alex

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would you normally allow for the decals possibly stretching sightly upon application ?

Gary

Edited by Airbusboy

8 hours ago, Airbusboy said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would you normally allow for the decals possibly stretching sightly upon application ?

Gary

I would be very careful with that.

If you use decal softener such as Microscale Micro Sol or maybe a similar solvent,you may be able to stretch the decal slightly using a towel.But that depends also on the decal itself,its quality of paper and printing.

I would try this with a spare piece first to see if it works before eventually ruin the main decal.

Alex