Best glue for wing struts on a biplane?

iamjohnsname

Hi everyone, I haven’t glued the top wing on a biplane in more than 20 years. And back then I was happy to use superglue and settle for warped wings that looked awful. 

Now, I’d love to know what kind of glue people use which is instantly tacky but slow drying enough that I can spend ten or twenty minutes getting all the struts in place and squared up properly before the glue sets!

I’m tempted to test out a product called Hot Wire Foam Factory Styrogoo - which I’ve used on other types of foam but never on styrofoam/plastic models. So I haven’t a clue whether it will work!

I’d love to know what others use!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

I use old fashioned Humbrol tube glue.

Applied with the tip of the ubiquitous wood cocktail stick

Depending on the set up of the model parts I do the outer interplane struts first

Glue them up and let it set up. Then do any inner interplane struts or usually the cabane struts next

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I might be telling you to suck eggs, but a jig is useful for biplane wings.

You’ll have to forgive my utter amateur status. It’s not telling me to suck eggs at all because I’ll happily take any advice I can get!

Yes, I’ve got a jig that I’ve put together which holds the wings in place. But the struts are still a free-for-all. So I still feel uncertain of how to achieve the correct angle of stagger and keep them in place. 

Sometimes, but not often

For getting the stagger, if the struts are individual; I have a great many books about biplanes. I find an illustration, usually a 3-view, I copy the angle and I cut a piece of cardboard with notches on it to slip onto the wings whilst the glue on the struts sets.

Airfix did a plastic guide in their Sopwith Pup and I think was a stagger guide in the newer Airfix Swordfish kits

• Like 1