gr4 op telic

andrews

According to the Model Alliance book and decal sheets on Op Telic it says that is was Camouflage Grey BS 381C 626 and it was Alkaline Removable Temporary Finish, with a Dk Camouflage Grey nose cone.

I’m not convinced that it was BS 626, as even the colour profiles on the Model Alliance sheet show different Greys between the GR4 and F3. I’d be more inclined to say it was BS 627 Light Aircraft Grey overall on the GR4, which for comparison purposes is the underside colour on the F3 when they used BS 626. I saw some of these GR4s  leave the paint shop after repaint and they were definitely lighter than a F3.

Wish I asked the question back then but I was in between modelling phases, so didn’t think to ask.

I think this could be a case of someone asking “what Grey was used on the Op Telic GR4’s” and being told it was the same colour that was used on the F3, but the person answering wasn’t more specific as to what Grey on the F3, and ever since the wrong information has been assumed as correct.

Edited to add:

I’ve just looked at the photos I took on the ramp at Lossie after the initial deployed a/c had returned from Kuwait and Qatar in dribs and drabs. These photos were taken over at least a 5 week period as some airframes were photographed on the Wash Pan ready for the  ARTF to be removed, whilst some disappeared into the hangars for some much needed post deployment maintenance (Desert Raven was in 15 Sqns K17 hangar for weeks before I finally managed to photograph it outside on the line).

All the photographs clearly show that the colour isn’t BS 626 Camouflage/Barley Grey, which has a Blueish hue to it. The ARTF has a Brownish hue to it and is more akin to BS 627 LAG, however it’s not quite 100% the same, which I suspect is due to it being applied directly on top of DSG BS 638 /DCG BS 629. 

Only thing I can suggest is to use the Mk1 eyeball and paint what you see.

Edited by scotthldr
  • Like 1

I was going to cross reference with FS codes last night, but some on here find that offensive and I didn’t want to start a riot, so I’m glad you brought it up first😆 

FS36495 is too cold imo, however FS36492 is warmer and a closer match to my photographs, in some it’s a prefect match. However the same old problem of different manufacturers producing different shades of the same colour applies.

Get a jar/pot of both and see which one is best.

Edited by scotthldr