Recommended size of PE bending tool

S-boat 55

Hi all, I exclusively build 1:350 ships, my current solution for the photo etch isn't great, I've been looking at various bending tools from the likes of hold and fold from small to  the 'large' type ones, Any recommendations as to the size to look at getting? 

• 4 months later...

I wish someone with more knowledge than I had replied here, but I will give you my two cents. From what I have seen regarding ship building, you probably run into some very small, but long PE parts, like railings and such. In your case, I would recommend that you bite the bullet and go for the big one. Better to have the tool that will most likely cover anything you would run into, than buy a tool that needs to be replaced by a bigger one. At the very least, go with the mid size, but certainly nkt the small one.

The other option to consider, is much less expensive, but risky. If I am correct that you face long PE parts that require a bend full length, then a simple straight edge and razor blade can handle those bends, and the rest could be done on a small bending tool. This saves a bit of money, but you have to be care with the straight edge, since you must hold if down yourself.

I was a carpenter in another life, one thing I learned very early on, get the right tool for the job, it definitely makes life a whole lot easier. You will get varied opinions on bending tools, with some that absolutely hate them mostly based on price. They are correct, they are over priced, but they do do a good job when needed. Many small parts can simply be bent using a pair of flat nosed tweezers. Its the big stuff that really needs a steady platform to get good bends.

Anyway, hope that helps, bit late, cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one of those long tools, which I bought many years ago. At the time, I figured it would handle everything. It can, but it's big and bulky. Now I only use it for those few long parts. For everything else, I use The Bug.

I'm ambivalent about the big tool, it works great when I need it, but that isn't very often. I'm enthusiastic about The Bug.

smallshop.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks both for your input, I'm very close to hitting the button on a tool. I've been trying the metal rule idea and it generally works really well but found with a kit im doing at the moment that where some parts are long and thin and taper the rule is too thick by the end,