Sdkfz 251 Driving Compartment

nheather

Was the driving compartment of the early war Panzer Grey Sdkfz 251 half tracks painted Elfenbein or Panzer Grau.

I've looked at walkarounds but they have all been in dark yellow.  The driver's compartment in those is dark yellow but I wonder whether that was just because it was a pretty light colour anyway.

Just talking about the front part (driver's compartment) not the passenger area.

Cheers,

Nigel

Open top vehicles were painted the same color inside as they were outside. So, Sd.kfz 251 driver's compartment would be panzer grey.

Though, after some quick research I need to correct myself - In some cases the driver's compartment part of the interior could have been elfenbein as well. 

Edited by vaoinas

The elfenbein section was the area under the little roof where the MG is mounted, forward of the troop benches.  This area was generally not visible to - or was in shadow from - observation.  The area behind the roof, the open part, was grey or dunkelgelb according to build date.  On riveted vehicles, Ausf A, B and early C, there was an internal joint or reinforcing flange at this point which was used as the colour boundary.  Not sure if welded Ausf Cs or Ausf Ds had this flange.