12 Inch 2001 Discovery model by Pahser (Reshape)

glueman

• 5 weeks later...

They are really tricky to get a good-lo0king kit, the trick I have used is to remove much of the overcall detail, and shave  strong supports, metal rails etc to align the modules along the spine otherwise it all looks wobbly.

I did the Luna Models Discovery way back in about 1995 and recently dismantled the kit, as it was comping apart I stripped the paint of, ready to re-assemble, but haven't assembled it yet.  I would consider selling this kit if anybody wanted to try a rebuild. The spine is poor, but the vinyl and resin parts are much better than this Phaser kit. 

Again, alignment of the long spine parts, using super-glue of course, needs to be done carefully. It looks better with a lot of the detail sanded down. 

Edited by oldmodeler
spelling!

On 23/01/2017 at 1:18 PM, oldmodeler said:

They are really tricky to get a good-lo0king kit, the trick I have used is to remove much of the overcall detail, and shave  strong supports, metal rails etc to align the modules along the spine otherwise it all looks wobbly.

I did the Luna Models Discovery way back in about 1995 and recently dismantled the kit, as it was comping apart I stripped the paint of, ready to re-assemble, but haven't assembled it yet.  I would consider selling this kit if anybody wanted to try a rebuild. The spine is poor, but the vinyl and resin parts are much better than this Phaser kit. 

Again, alignment of the long spine parts, using super-glue of course, needs to be done carefully. It looks better with a lot of the detail sanded down. 

Hi oldmodeler,

I might be interested in your Luna Models Discovery. Do you have any photos that you could send? 

Thanks

Pete

Hello glueman, I was thinking of giving it a rebuild, after dissembling and stripping off the paint.

but I could sell.  The model is made of vinyl for the command module and engines compartment, with  resin engines and the remaining parts. It is quite a good representation if you compare to  Simon Atkinson's drawings. Luna Models stopped trading many years ago, the only other good copy is by Captain Cardboard at over six feet long and costing £5000!    

This one is aprox. 30 in long. I would ask £48 for it, after paying $109 in 1995.   it was a small production run, and there are probably only a few in exsitance.  the spine is one piece, and a bit chipped, a couple of the spine modules has gone missing. These can be easily copied from existing modules in plastuct  square. Average scatch-modeling skils would probably be all that is required to repair and re-assemble.  Takes up quite a bit of room on the shelf when assembled. 

Model prior to dissembly. 

Discovery3.jpg

Dissembled

Disc1.JPG

Disc2.JPG

Disc4.JPG

Disc3.jpg

That looks awesome!!!!!  Definitely better detail compared to mine :(

I'm definitely interested if you would like to sell.  You mentioned that the spine is in one piece ... so would that about 24 inches long?  I'm just trying to picture the parts all wrapped up in a parcel.  The price you mentioned (£48) ... is that just for the kit?  Do you have an idea about postage costs?

Thanks

Pete

The spine is about 24in long, so postage will be say, £3 so  I will have to pack in a big tube. 

if you call me on to arrange. 

it isn't fragile because it is dissembled. all the other parts are there except one or two modules, the antennae is there, but made of fragile resin, you might want to make a better one out of scrap. No stand, but you can make one out of plastic.  

Some  modellers have replaced the spine with a better one made from 3/8 brass and plastic details.  other parts could be imporved on using the parts as templates. 

Edited by oldmodeler
delete phone no

1 hour ago, oldmodeler said:

Hello glueman, I was thinking of giving it a rebuild, after dissembling and stripping off the paint.

but I could sell.  The model is made of vinyl for the command module and engines compartment, with  resin engines and the remaining parts. It is quite a good representation if you compare to  Simon Atkinson's drawings. Luna Models stopped trading many years ago, the only other good copy is by Captain Cardboard at over six feet long and costing £5000!  

Note quite:

https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/1651/1144-2001-discovery.html

Mastered by 2001 guru Ian Walsh.

Thomo.

The Stargazer   Discovery as been posted since about 2009 as on back order, but I haven't seen it produced since about 2009.  The first batch was sold then, but i hanvent heard of any other since.   This looks superior to the Luna Models one, if it can be got hold of.  I have tried to order.

So I think  this dismantled kit is the  only one avalible at the moment. 

Captain Cardboard can no longer be contacted at the known links, and  he would only supply completed models, as he didn't want to see poor quality finished models attributed to him, strangely,  his finish was only average, despite the price. 

3 hours ago, oldmodeler said:

The spine is about 24in long, so postage will be say, £3 so  I will have to pack in a big tube. 

if you call me on 01452 61712 to arrange. 

it isn't fragile because it is dissembled. all the other parts are there except one or two modules, the antennae is there, but made of fragile resin, you might want to make a better one out of scrap. No stand, but you can make one out of plastic.  

Some  modellers have replaced the spine with a better one made from 3/8 brass and plastic details.  other parts could be imporved on using the parts as templates. 

Hi oldmodeler,

Thanks for the details.  I've tried to call the above number but it wasn't recognised. Is there a digit missing?  The price plus postage sounds good.

Going to send a PM.

Cheers

Pete