XF-86 on top of Humbrol enamels ?

Grumpy Modeller

There are enamel matt varnishes - Humbrol's aerosol is good, as is their satin.  But any at all will be safe over enamel paint, so if you prefer acrylic, go for it.  If in any doubt at all, test it first on a bit of painted scrap.

• Like 1

I have used future for gloss and Galleria Matt acrylic varnishes over enamels with no problems.  Similarly enamel varnish over acrylic paints.  I've even done cellulose dope / enamel/ acrylic/ enamel / acrylic/ future /Matt enamel varnish with no issues.

And when doing a "Model-in-a-Day" competition (4times to date), the previous paint layer is only a bit past touch dry, still no problems.

To be honest when I first came back to modelling i found the hard way that you shouldn't mix enamel and acrylic paints together to make the right shade (as I didn't realise starter kit pots were acrylic and all my old model paints were enamel) as it goes a bit gloopy, but eventually dried okay!  Until I came on forums I didn't realise there was a problem of acrylic over enamel or vice versa.  My experience is that there isn't a problem.

Of course Murphy will get me on the next model now!

Cheers Will 

• Like 1