1/32 is it only a matter of time?

chrislowe

For as long as I can remember I have built 1:48 aircraft.

Every now and then I have a break to build a racing car or a tank or summat, but I always go back to 1:48 aircraft.

However, recently I've been seeing more and more 1:32 aircraft that look absolutely stunning (most recently the snow falcon GR7 - swoon). Now, I know that it's certainly more to do with the skill of the modeller than the scale, but still I can't help thinking that my 1:48 days are coming to and end.

I'd love to hear from people who've made 1:32 models about the experience, tooling, detail, after market bits etc.

I'm gonna need bigger shelves.

Chris

Edit: if you haven't seen the jaw-dropping harrier yet, it's this one... http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985105-raf-harrier-gr7-snow-falcon-2002-in-132nd/

Edited by chrislowe

I built exclusively 1/48 for many years but got into 1/32 when I started building Wingnuts WW1 subjects plus some Silver Wings inter war subjects. I now STILL build MOSTLY 1/48 WW2 subjects but have a few 1/32 single seaters in the stash (Spits, 109s, 190s). They do allow for more detail, possibly easier build & look pretty impressive. However I have recently added a few 1/72 models to the stash such as Lancasters, Halifaxes & A Whitley. Either these "heavies" are not available in 1/48 or if they are (such as the Tamiya Lanc), they're too big to display!

What's happening to me?!

• Like 1

As someone never bothering with large kits, I can't help but thinking that 1:32 scale kits tend to be just upscaled versions of some other project, so that they aren't more detailed. I can imagine that I am wrong in thinking this though.

As for myself, I worry that I with a 1:32 model kit, would always have to buy extra photo etch to get satisfactory amount of detaling.

• Like 1

As someone never bothering with large kits, I can't help but thinking that 1:32 scale kits tend to be just upscaled versions of some other project, so that they aren't more detailed. I can imagine that I am wrong in thinking this though.

As for myself, I worry that I with a 1:32 model kit, would always have to buy extra photo etch to get satisfactory amount of detaling.

If you've never bothered with them, how can you know what they're like in terms of details? It may have been (somewhat) true of very old kits, but any 1/32 kit produced in the last 10-15 years will have much more detail than a 1/48, even if they share the same heritage.

I've moved exclusively to 1/32 and disposed of all my 1/48 and 1/72 kits. The range of subjects is more limited than for the smaller scales, and you need more display room, but in terms of 'bang for buck' I think they're unrivaled.

• Like 1

I've been a dedicated 1/32 jet modeller for the last ten years. I enjoy the show-stopping size of the finished product, the great amount of detailing you can add, and the overall impression they offer on display.

On the down side, they are VERY expensive, options can be limited (maybe one or two variants if you're lucky), and they aren't as well served by aftermarket, particularly the all-important decals. It's one thing to spend £80+ on a kit, but if you think of factoring in photo etch, resin cockpit, wheel wells and engines you can easily double that.

Not for the shallow of pocket, but one kit can easily keep you occupied for months. The "bang for your buck" argument is an easy win for 1/32...the big issue is, where do you keep them when they're finished?

• Like 1

I guess if I had finished a 1:32 model (don't think I've ever built one), I would make sure to photograph it properly, and then, eh give it away or stow it away without worrying too much about what happens to it. At least the memory of it would live on in the photos. :)