1/72 Airfix RA Hawk

Hi all,

I thought I'd share a build I completed a while back for a colleague at work who was leaving.

I did intend on doing it wheels down but thought the inflight approach would make a better display item.

I found the basic kit from Airfix easy enough to throw together, I had real issues with the finish however, this was kit number 2, the first took a mk2

flight against the wall after attempt number 3 at a gloss enamel finish failed.

Finally got to a reasonable finish with acrylics and future.

I noticed one of the long side decals was on squint a bit too late :banghead:

image6_zps0xfvqkfc.jpeg

image5_zpsjvzdkd90.jpeg

image3_zpsdq5c0bro.jpeg

image4_zpspgv7wf5r.jpeg

image1_zps7xkb5trk.jpeg

Bonus points if you can name the location in the frame/ base :winkgrin:

-Stuart.

• Like 12

Hello,Ramboramage - My compliments to you on a splendid looking build and display of your Red Arrows Hawk.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work including the pilot's Red Arrow Emblem on his flying helmet and the vista and smoke effect.Location? I'm fairly confident in assuming she's displaying at an area with a big oil industry presence.North of beautiful Stirling where you are there's obviously Aberdeen.That could be one location.However,I'm going to make a fool of myself no doubt by saying it's Milford Haven/Haverfordwest? All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Many thanks everyone for the kind comments.

mcdonnell, on 19 Nov 2015 - 6:10 PM, said:

Hello,Ramboramage - My compliments to you on a splendid looking build and display of your Red Arrows Hawk.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work including the pilot's Red Arrow Emblem on his flying helmet and the vista and smoke effect.Location? I'm fairly confident in assuming she's displaying at an area with a big oil industry presence.North of beautiful Stirling where you are there's obviously Aberdeen.That could be one location.However,I'm going to make a fool of myself no doubt by saying it's Milford Haven/Haverfordwest? All the best,Paul.

Hi Paul, that's some good detective work there, I would say the location is more east of Stirling than north....

The picture is a bit vague to be fair :popcorn:

-Stuart.

• Like 1