C-130 Hercules J by Italeri

Built this awhile ago for a pal who bought it and gave it to me to build for him.

At 1:48 scale I certainly didn't have room for it anyway. My first large scale aircraft so apologies in advance for the build quality. Will post photos in stages, so stage one is the kit on the sprues

image.jpg1_zpsmktmbymo.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsgj3o74lw.jpg

image.jpg2_zpskhjktjdl.jpg

Front section swallows an iPhone

image.jpg5_zpskbd94owg.jpg

The massive decal sheet, he had taken it out of the protective bag and put grubby paws on it lol.

image.jpg6_zpsqcx3e7yf.jpg

Edited by Ian Suds

As you will notice this isn't a comprehensive build due to the fact it was built awhile ago, so it's just major stages.

Nose wheel bay built. I placed bits of spruce inside to help me add weight as I didn't want a tail sitter.

image.jpg6_zps4wsg2ifr.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsahdi3pt9.jpg

Filled the space with weight and held it in with plastic putty.

image.jpg7_zpsfqtsfmgv.jpg

Then I cut plastic sheet to shape and glued it over the putty.

image.jpg7_zpsfqtsfmgv.jpg

As in this photo.

image.jpg8_zpsblykhyng.jpg

• Like 4

Then the cockpit was built and painted.

The digital screens were done by painting them silver first, then using Tamiya clear green and moving it with a brush before it dried.

This to give an impression of them being switched on, bear in mind not a lot will be seen once closed up.

image.jpg4_zps4gt50ong.jpg

Control panel and some of the cabin roofing fitted with (none working) lights.

image.jpg3_zpsdbtkmzfo.jpg

image.jpg1_zps9wcmfon6.jpg

• Like 2

Rear section then added.

image.jpg4_zpss0udhllb.jpg

Then the front cockpit area.

image.jpg1_zpskcnioive.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsztat4amw.jpg

Then it was test fitted to the starboard fuselage half. This was done before glue completely cured to ensure that it fitted where it was supposed to.

image.jpg3_zpsv3lvqnly.jpg

• Like 2

Once I was happy that the interior section fitted OK I temporarily closed the two fuselage halves together ( not shown) then left the glue for 12 hours to fully cure. Removing the Port half the completed interior section was glued and taped to the starboard half and again left

Overnight to set before the tape was removed.

image.jpg1_zpsbwgejep4.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsbwgejep4.jpg

image.jpg3_zpslzumbscr.jpg

Once the tape was removed the guitar string was put to use as control wires.

image.jpg4_zpsfxbhnfot.jpg

That is very impressive

I see it has the pipes and ducts along the roof does it also have the boxes and casings that rattle hum and screech?

;)

I am following this 'til I cant

The parts that rattled, hummed and screeched were me, especially when things got fiddly or didn't want to go where they should have lol.

Anyone noticed a 1:16 King Tiger on display by the window?

• Like 1

Whilst the previous work fully cured, a good old cup of Yorkshire tea was drunk then it was time for the engines.

The kit ones are not accurate to a J series so the those that really care about these things will have to purchase after market resin ones.

For me? Well it was the kit ones that would be used.

image.jpg1_zpsr43udsjl.jpg

Once they were ready they received an undercoat of primer paint followed by the top coat.

image.jpg2_zpsahabnz8g.jpg

That was followed by two coats of Klear.

image.jpg3_zpserfj5j5u.jpg

Edited by Ian Suds
  • Like 2

I tried purchasing their C-130 H variant recently. Two attempts and each attempt met failure as the port side components were duplicated with no starboard parts included.

While the model shop was great I was less than impressed with Italeri's response from both UK and Italy customer service departments, neither seeming overly concerned in their replies. So check the boxes before you walk out the stores on the H variant.

Final part for tonight.

Fuselage halves glued together. Anyone who is not an aircraft modeller (me for instance) and tries to do an aircraft kit will know when I state that this is our nightmare, so why am I causing even more stress with a 1:48 one. Glueing it without making a mess!!!

Well vehicle people here is a tip use liquid weld rather than polystyrene cement.

So here are the parts glued together and held with tape.

image.jpg1_zpsbitrfz5s.jpg

• Like 1

Next day the tape was removed and a little sanding and filling of the joint was done.

image.jpg1_zpstpohhujg.jpg

Then the windscreen was test fitted to check out the fit, was not too bad, this is another part of aircraft modelling I hate, this piece always seems to be the one which will not fit properly.

image.jpg4_zpsvtchfr6q.jpg

But I can live with this as its not too bad at all.

image.jpg3_zpspciovl8j.jpg

Well chaps that's it for tonight. Good night in this time zone.

Edited by Ian Suds
  • Like 1

I tried purchasing their C-130 H variant recently. Two attempts and each attempt met failure as the port side components were duplicated with no starboard parts included.

While the model shop was great I was less than impressed with Italeri's response from both UK and Italy customer service departments, neither seeming overly concerned in their replies. So check the boxes before you walk out the stores on the H variant.

Thanks for passing on that tip Martin. So beware anyone looking for the H series by Italeri.

Good morning from a very wet SW Scotland where the weather is at its best, rain rain and even more rain. So with a great cup of tea made with Yorkshire tea bags it's time to post some more photos.

Start where I left off last night with the fuselage halves having been joined I managed a shot of the interior from the rear doors.

With spare wire I added what the parachutist would attach their static lines to. Sorry I can't remember the correct term used to describe them.

image.jpg1_zpsskeroqhj.jpg

Edited by Ian Suds
  • Like 1

Wings and tail fin were put together and the fit wasn't too bad at all.

Here is where the experts will jump in :( and point out a basic error. However after fitting them I discovered my mistake but decided to leave them on rather than removing them and having to rectify the damage done by the glue.

The J series had larger tanks fitted and therefore didn't have the underwing tanks fitted. There I beat you guys to it lol.

Lesson learnt, but not necessarily taken in knowing me.

Anyway here they are primed and preshaded, one of my first attempt at this method.

image.jpg1_zpstniefynj.jpg

Then top coated, not sure I achieved what the pre shading was supposed to do.

image.jpg2_zps5qyzyt38.jpg

The tail fin is only dry fitted.

image.jpg3_zpsxoejmkvr.jpg

• Like 1

Time to start laying on the green paint. My poor old compressor didn't like this job, it got very hot and started to play up. I found the solution with my missus's large hair dryer it had a cold setting and on the faster speed I placed it at the induction end of the compressor.

It then started working again, much to my relief. Anyway this is one of several light coats.

image.jpg1_zpsflumejiu.jpg

image.jpg3_zps3mtlr9tb.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsmcz4gds0.jpg