Now with added photos! Operation sow's ear - 1/72 Lindberg He100!

Being a sucker for kits of unusual aircraft, I bought this in Revell boxing at a show for A$5 a couple of years back. Turned out to be a repop of the old Lindberg kit from the mid-'60s!

As such the panel lines and rivets looked like they came out of a shipyard. Having had one attempt at fully rescribing a model and deciding "never again!" I left those, but did a few things to improve it:

- the radiator bath was too far to the rear, being moulded integrally with the wing! I removed the old one, filled in the resulting gap, then made up a new one from plastic card and located it further forward.

- the carby intake on the port wing root was missing - fabricated same

- sanded down the main undercarriage doors to decent thickness (they looked like armour plate!), and made new inner and tailwheel doors from plastic card. Finally, added retraction links to the main undercarriage

- drilled holes for the wing-mounted guns, and added pitot tube and radio mast

- the big one... The windows behind the canopy were modelled as raised outlines in the fuselage plastic! I cut this section of the fuselage away and replaced it with a piece of clear sheet bent to shape after running under hot water, then masked out the windows.

Painting was mostly Italeri acrylics - RLM 71 over 65. Rigging was EZ-line.

IMG_0920.JPGIMG_0921.JPGIMG_0922.JPG

Edited by bharris
  • Like 4

these aircraft were so rare and unique ....that they used invisible tartan paint on them.... :banghead:

Early stealth technology!

Seriously, I put the post up, then realised I'd forgotten how to display photos! Then it was tea time... Now all fixed up.

• Like 1

The He 100 is one of the most attractive German designs from WW II, IMHO – she looks like a full-blooded racer.

It's remarkable what a dose of TLC can do for these old kits. I have a semi-finished Lindberg He 100 in the drawer of doom – now I got inspired to finish it after all.

Kind regards,

Joachim

The He 100 is one of the most attractive German designs from WW II, IMHO – she looks like a full-blooded racer.

It's remarkable what a dose of TLC can do for these old kits. I have a semi-finished Lindberg He 100 in the drawer of doom – now I got inspired to finish it after all.

Kind regards,

Joachim

It goes together quite nicely for its age. There's one other error that I didn't attempt to correct - the wheel wells should be much closer together in the middle. But that's major surgery...