Discussion - Aircraft Windows

Hamdhan777

Hello again!

Since I have plans to build some airliners after Christmas, there is one question I have... and that is: What do I do with windows?

I don't think the kits that I'll be making come with the plexiglass inserts for the windows. I do not want to fill them up because that would mean I'd have to buy window decals which costs more £££. I am planning on leaving them open, as this will also make painting easier. However, I still want the plane to look nice and dont want my modelling dignity to leak out the windows ( :D ), so maybe covering the windows from the back or something?

So just dump all your ideas on me for airliner windows that doesn't involve filling them. Has anyone tried leaving the windows just the way they are? If so, what is your opinion on open windows?

[FYI: I have done some background reading, but I'm still a noob infront of y'all :D ]

Thanks in advance,

Hamdhan

Hello Hamdhan,

you can make windows with clear-setting PVA glue (e.g. Mircroscale Mirco Krystal Klear, Humbrol Clearfix etc). Simply apply with a toothpick to the window opening (after painting) and leave to set. Easy to clean up excess/mistakes with a damp cloth etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hello Hamdhan,

If you really want to avoid filling the windows, why not try a strip of clear decal film applied on the exterior side ? Means your model should be almost finished, fuselage painting done & cheat lines applied, then a 1st coat of gloss varnish, then you apply the clear decal strip over the window & shoot another coat of clear varnish in order to seal everything. Bottom line, you won't have the silver frame outline that most window decal have.

Kristal Clear or white glue are IMHO the next easy solution.

Andrew, your method sounds easy, I guess I will probably go with that.

PMG Offramp, I thought of putting just the decals over the exterior, but my concern is that it might be too weak.

Actually.... I shall combine all your ideas. Once I've finished painting, I'll fill the windows with clear PVA (maybe add a tad bit of black as suggested by bonehammer), and THEN put the decal ontop which will give me that silver frame!

Sound like a plan! :D

Thanks everyone! :wow:

Edited by Hamdhan777
  • Like 1