1/72 Dambusters Diorama

Nicolas V

Hi everyonethis today I'm starting with this new project.

I am doing a representation of one of the dambusters lancaster being prepared in the scampton base to go to operation Chastie in the Rhur valley. I dont know yet if I'm going to do the Gibson's or the Maltiby's lancaster.

For the project I will be using:

-Revell 1/72 lancaster(Dambusters version)

-Airfix 1/72:

-Bomber re-supply set

-Raf personnel

I began with the asembly of the personnel and as soon as I am done with the painting I'm going to post the results

Any advise or comment will be really apreciated

Thank's for watching

P1010669.JPG

• Like 1

What level of realism are you aiming for?

Those thick figure bases of Airfix' 1:76 scale soft plastic set are certainly useful as handholds when painting, but you'd get a much more realistic impression if you then cut them off and glue the figures' feet directly to your diorama baseboard.

Kind regards,

Joachim

There are some things that need correcting on the revell kit. Most noticable are the wing dihedral and rear fairing in the bomb bay. I did a WIP on here a year or so ago, but away from my PC at the moment and hate using my phone to search, but I corrected most issues, so might be a good reference, it was built as AJ-Z

Thanks for answering actually the idea of using the bases as handholds will be very usefull because I'm going to paint them by airbrush so it can make me easier the work the unic roblem that I've with this figures is that they had a little factory fails(plastic debris) that I've to cut with knife once the figures are painted I wil add some extra detail because I want high level detail.

The technique of the graphite dusk is very helpful too because it will add the details I want on the guns because I will not put thw whole guns in the Lanc(I will put a figure that carries a gun for the plane)

The correcting detailing on the pane was very good it will help a lot mainly in the wing that I will also add putty on the unions to cover them at the same

Cheers :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi, thanks for the link and congratulations for the lanc. I will use your tip of the wing but there was a thing that I didn't get, where did you get those plans for fixing the issues

I will also add some extra detail I will buy this things http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED72451 and I'll also buy these wheels that have a very good detailing if you compare them with the reals.

descarga%20(3).jpgP1000752.JPG

Hi Nicolas,

They are out of the Warpiant Lancaster edition, a worthy addition to the collection for the drawings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warpaint-Series-No-89-Avro-Lancaster-52-Pages-NEW-/400752303420?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item5d4eb2dd3c

Did the upkeep aircraft have treaded tires? I'm pretty sure these only came later on, so worth a check. There are non-treaded tires available too.

Cheers

Hi, I've seen some pictures of the planes and it turns out that you were right, the tires looked flat or at least I couldn't see any threads clearly, I will work with the wheels that came with the kit, thanks for information.

By the way wich were the colors, plane codes and decals of maltiby's Lanc??

Edited by Nicolas V

J-Jonny was his aircraft. All the aircraft wer the same standard night scheme, just the codes were different. This website wil give you all you need :)

http://www.thedambusters.org.uk/first_wave.html

The wheels in the Revell kit are not very good (oversize IIRC), so you'd be right to replace them with resin ones, but of the untreaded type.

Hi, I am having another trouble, are they some exterior photo edges for this model because I've been looking and there are only for the airfix and haseawa models. Does it maters if I buy one of those and I put it in my lanc, it will fit??

I'm not sure Nicolas. What etch are you looking to fit? if it is only surface stuff, I can't see there being any issues. The gear bays are already adequately detailed, and given the black finish, you won't see much anyway. The flaps may vary slightly, but I'm sure they could be made to fit without too much difficulty.

Hi Nicolas, my opinion is that the etch set is a lot of money for what you'll get to use:

The gear bays already have the framework so won't need the big bits in there

The radiators are a different shape from the Hasegawa ones, so you won't be able to use the radiator fronts

Antenna's can be easily replicated from plasticard sheet / strip so getting some of this would be a worthy investment for this and future builds.

Of course, it's only my opinion, but just want to ensure you're making an informed purchase :)

Hi, I see your point and watching the plane is good in detailing I don't really know how much are the guns barrels detailed.

I'm also thinking on buying this http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK7288 it can help me in the representation of a mechanic working on the engine before the raid.(it's just an idea :D )

I will guide myself by this post of a diorama http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=com_deeppockets&task=catContShow&cat=14&id=1633&Itemid=35

By the way I'm sorry that I have not send images of personnel painting because my airbrush is jabb and I lost it :badmood: so I'm having to buy a new one so I will delay a bit.

Cheers

Edited by Nicolas V

The gun barrels would benefit from a change, definitely, the resin ones are rather nice. That engine looks good too.

Look forwards to seeing your progress when you get sorted :)

That diorama is quite inspirational, thanks for posting the link, hadn't seen that before.

Cheers, Neil

A small observation, that might be useful if you're planning to include any vehicles in your diorama:

Any vehicle will benefit from having its front wheels offset, as if it had been stopped while making a turn. This tiny detail adds a lot of 'life & activity' to the overall diorama. Just have a look at the fuel bowser in this photo from the diorama link that you posted:

http://www.helmo.gr/gallery2/d/91485-1/DSC00075.JPG?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

Good luck with the dio!

Kind regards,

Joachim