Roden T28 - Fennec

Have just completed the Roden T-28B, painted now as a Fennec as remanufactured by Sud Aviation. The inspiration was a sighting of this and 2 other similar machines at Blackbushe in 1978.

Painted here with its ferry registration N54612 it was ex Morracan Air Force, with the roundel, serial and flag painted out in a lighter sand colour - look closely and you can see I tried to replicate this. The aircraft was meandering between North Africa and South America - eventually finding its was to Nicargua and ultimately the Sandinista's! It then found its way back to the USA and currently still flies as a warbird in freench AF markings with a Canadian registration - some 63 years after it was first delivered!

Any way lets talk about the model - goes together reasonably well and having a large glazed canopy requires me to spend more than 5 minutes on the cockpit! (My usual airliners dont generally have cockpits as models!) First go at homemade seatbelts which turned out well and I also checked what was contained in the cockpit upgrade set and replicated this with some plastic bits to add interest to the cockpit generally. No mods to Fennec status as I was concentrating on the paint scheme to get the desired look. Added 2 ferry fuel tanks and pylons to match the photos I found of it. Registration and serial decals are homemade laser (first time again!) and worked well to my eye. However prop logos were printed on inkjet and turned white when coated with matt varnish! Tamiya acrylics used throughout and Flory wash to give it the grimy look. Here's the pics.

IMG_5137_zps063548f1.jpg

IMG_5143_zps6aac36a4.jpg

IMG_5139_zpsa22cd2ad.jpg

IMG_5135_zpsb739dac5.jpg

IMG_5134_zpsab9fb6fd.jpg

IMG_5142_zps94633fd1.jpg

Edited by Jpthedog
  • Like 3

Lovely build. I've seen the Roden kit but never been sure enough to pick it up.

I would recommend the kit - looks to me like a T28. Font undercarriage is a bit flimsy but other than than coulndt fault it.

Edited by Jpthedog