234 Sqn / 229 OCU Hunter T.7s in silver with Scotch Cal strips

tony.t

Hi Chaps,

The title says it all. I have a drawing of the Hunter T.7 spec with Scotch Cal fluorescent orange strips but this is for the LAG scheme, circa 1969-1971.

ScotchCalpatternforLAGT7Hunter.jpg

I'm after something similar for a circa 1964-1968 Hunter T.7 finished in overall aluminium polyurethane with similar Scotch Cal dayglo orange striping.

Am particuarly interested to know the pattern applied to the mainplanes, upper and lower - photos hint at strips running parallel to the leading edge from the dogtooth out to near the wingtip, maybe a foot back from the leading edge, but that's guesswork on my part.

Am building a 1/32 T.7 from 229 OCU / 234 Sqn and have done some artwork for decals already - just need details of the wing striping, whatever it was, if anyone knows (?!?)

Would also appreciate any ideas regarding where I might source fluorescent orange decal, for chopping-up into the relevant strips.

Appreciate that it's a very obscure request,

Tony T

Thanks Edgar and Pat.

The Fantasy decal supplier has been bookmarked! Seems perfect!

The subject is Hunter T.7 XL 618 / tail number 87 from 229 OCU (shadow 234 Sqn) at RAF Chivenor, ca.1965, using a 1/32 Revell F.6 'married' to Paul Fisher's T.7 conversion set.

I am unable to post the pic I have of XL 618 for fear of incurring copyright issues and I've long since lost the link, but the dayglo Scotch Cal stuff on the mainplanes appears to run spanwise on the outer wing upper surface.

The lower surface is anyone's guess, but I'll probably add orange to the trailing edge of the flaps as in the ca.1970 spec drawing of the Scotch Cal-over-LAG scheme posted earlier. Can't tell exactly, but my guess is that the wingtips are white on most Hunters of that era (some being embellished with checks, as were 2-3 56 Sqn Firebirds Hunter T.7s in the early-mid 1960s.

Well, back to Mr Hawker's creation in miniature. It's a lovely set, and kit, and I have EricG's gun muzzle diffuser/vents/antenna set as well as a pair of plastic Hunter seats to dress in pre-painted Eduard PE (using the Lightning F.1A stuff as generic strap stuff) so unless I botch things expect to see it posted in RFI sometime later this year...

...so many models, and a big fat Trumpeter A-6A tempting distraction! And the... etc!

Cheers

Tony T