CF-139 Gripen '776, AETE,RCAF

Finished for the Modelling Madness 'whif' for Canadian types what could have been or should be. Italeri 1/72nd kit. Leading Edge decals.

I have depicted mine as in use with the AETE at Cold Lake, Alta., with a 'zap' by 441(Silver Fox) Squadron on the fin.

And making use of some of the many unused decals from the Combat Hornet set and finished in Hornet greys.

1yn2.jpg

phiy.jpg

7u7x.jpg

• Like 3

I like that, looks great. I'm also liking the Gripen a lot more than I used to.

I'm building this kit at the moment along with the Safir. I must ask, did you remove the aerial fins intentionally or knock them all off like I have trying to get bits to fit. I think I have one left on the spine, the others all went fitting the wings

Chris

I like that, looks great. I'm also liking the Gripen a lot more than I used to.

I'm building this kit at the moment along with the Safir. I must ask, did you remove the aerial fins intentionally or knock them all off like I have trying to get bits to fit. I think I have one left on the spine, the others all went fitting the wings

Chris

Well, yes and no. The model was given to me built. So a couple of aerials were already gone. I stripped the paint off courtesy Mr Muscle oven stuff, refitted any thing else that got knocked in the process. I was going to finish it in RAF colours but then this idea came about on hearing that Canada might be getting them. Being me I had to go for it. The aerials now fitted are spares from Hase/Academy Hornet kits as too, the missiles and pod thingy under the wings. I had to use a bit of 'modellers license' and fitted sidewinder rails at the tips from my spares box. Not sure which kit or type they were from. So I tried to use up anything Hornet spare to fit on this model. Oh, I came about the type designator for Canadian use from the SAAB type number JAS-39 and adapted the Canadian style by creating a 'CF-139'!!!

The rest is as mentioned above for markings wise.

I have to add, IF Canada do get them they will be the NG (New Generation)Gripen with lots of changes including the non conforrmal bulges to the undersides incorporating the undercart which will,in turn, be slightly further apart. Of course ther will lots of avionic stuff as well.