1/72 Wellington engine nacelles question

clift

Looking for some input here. I have the 1/72 Trumpter Wellington kit, which is quite nice overall, save for the nacelles & props, I believe.

I also have a Matchbox Wellington kit, while it does not have the level of detail that the Trumpeter kit does, it is accurate.

So I was wondering, just how accurate. Could one use the Matchbox engine nacelles & props on the Trumpter kit? Would this address the aforementioned short comings?

TIA.

Edited by clift

It's some years since I've studied the Matchbox Wellington, I don't remember much about the nacelles. The kit has a lot of shape issues in other areas (as do all older Wellington kits).

The primary concern with the Trumpeter nacelles is the lower profile is essentially straight between the engine cowling and the front of the undercarriage bay. There should in fact be a taper towards the front, which serves to deepen and widen the bay. If using the Matchbox nacelles addresses this then it would seem to be a way forward.

I've been experimenting with one of my Trumpeter kits; the lower nacelle has been cut away with the intention to create the internal bay structure to dimensions which would fit the undercarriage assembly when retracted. Once this is complete I intend to build-up the outside to match photographs and the 4+ plans. It's all a bit slow in happening though with too much taking my time elsewhere,

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

I dug out a Matchbox Wellington and had a bit of a play for myself. In side profile it's pretty good, but it looks rather too wide in plan.

It may provide a better starting point, but there's a lot of work needed to get it right,

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe