Czech Model 1/48 T-34C Turbo Mentor RMAF

goon

Hi everyone,

This is the Czech Models 1/48 T-34C Turbo Mentor, completed in the colours of Royal Moroccan Air Force.

This was my first go at a limited run kit, and lot of fun it was. It's a great little kit, but there are a lot of things you can do to add detail and finesse. I added scratchbuilt engine controls and console switches, as well as dial decals to the cockpit. I replaced the front gear doors with thinner representations, and also replaced the main gear torque links as they did not fit the legs in any way. Most 'fun' was the rivetting, which while not to exact scale gives a good representation of the real thing.

I also added the wing tip lights, which are not represented at all in the kit, but are a 'defining' feature. The canopies are not designed to fit in the open position, so after cutting apart they sit a little awkwardly, but not too bad.

A short build thread here http://www.britmodel...c=234914478&hl=

Thanks for looking,

Gareth

DSC_9307.jpg

DSC_9309.jpg

DSC_9311.jpg

DSC_9312.jpg

DSC_9319.jpg

DSC_9322.jpg

DSC_9328.jpg

DSC_9336.jpg

DSC_9338.jpg

DSC_9343.jpg

Edited by goon
  • Like 2

Gareth, that's beautifully done, lovely details and I espacially admire the faired-in wingtip lights. I have the same kit, which I shall build as an Argentine Armada 'plane from 1982, but I doubt it will match yours in quality. Actually it will be the first mixed-media kit I've attempted. I looked at the kit again the other day - there don't seem to be any mating lugs for the wing/fuselage join...? Did you do anything special with yours?

Tony

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Tony - I just used lots of glue! :) But more specifically I used a good amount of Revell Contacta, but not enough so that it squeezed out of the join, and pressed it on in a simple butt joint. When this was secure I ran lots of Tamiya Extra Thin in to the seams, letting each run dry a bit before the next. A very small amount of filler was needed to tidy the join. Both joins have stood up to my ham-fisted handling with no problems. Good luck with yours!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Tony - I just used lots of glue! :) But more specifically I used a good amount of Revell Contacta, but not enough so that it squeezed out of the join, and pressed it on in a simple butt joint. When this was secure I ran lots of Tamiya Extra Thin in to the seams, letting each run dry a bit before the next. A very small amount of filler was needed to tidy the join. Both joins have stood up to my ham-fisted handling with no problems. Good luck with yours!

Thanks, that's helpful. I wonder if Tamiya Extra Thin is like the watery stuff I already have, apply it into very narrow seams than squeeze together, evaporates instantly..?

Disappointing to hear about the poor fit of that canopy! I'll have to play with mine, might copy your "open canopy" approach.

Tony

Yes, Extra Thin is a variation on liquid cement, so almost any would work, although some are 'hotter' than others.

I think the canopy will fit quite well closed, it's my decision to open it that introduced the awkwardness.