Anson in stripes?

Rudolf_Filip

I've found a pic of an Anson that visited Gothenburg, Sweden in 1945.

I'd like to know why there are stripes below the fuselage. It looks like invasion stripes, but in 1945 on an Anson?

Can somebody tell me the use of this marking?

Here is the link to the site with the picture.

http://www.amhult-lyse.se/torslandaflygplats/hemsida_ESGB/esgb_show.asp?xKat=flygpl393

Andreas Samuelsson

Helsingborg, Sweden

From memory, as I don't have my references handy, the Ansons of the 2nd Tactical Air Force (TAF) which were used for re-supply and communications retained the striped bands on the lower fuselage as a friendly identification feature long after D-Day, so it's possible they would have been present in 1945.

Yep, invasion stripes. There is a Goon (Dakota/C-47) on the same linked page also still showing the under-fuselage stripes.

bob

p.s. I was also intrigued by the "Beauty"- the cute little plane in one picture- don't remember meeting that one before!

Edited by gingerbob

Yep, invasion stripes. There is a Goon (Dakota/C-47) on the same linked page also still showing the under-fuselage stripes.

bob

p.s. I was also intrigued by the "Beauty"- the cute little plane in one picture- don't remember meeting that one before!

I real little beautie! http://www.spitfire-ahlberg.se/text2_26.html

G

Thanks for all replies!

I'm not very good at the British stuff but I am trying to learn. I like the Anson and I've been itching to start building a model of it.

I thought, why not build one with a Swedish connection?

What kit should I use for this bird?

Airfix or MPM/Special Hobby?. I've heard that it's not an easy build either way.

About the "Beauty". I've seen it on several airshows and it's a wonderful little plane.

It's not to hard to imagine that he who designed this lovely plane later went on to design the SAAB Draken!

Andreas

Looking at the picture it looks like the Anson has the smooth "Oxford" style engine cowlings and the perspex observers dome on the cockpit roof and is without the fuselage turret, which means it will be slightly easier to start with the appropriate "late" boxing of the MPM/Special Hobby kit rather than the Airfix kit. The MPM/SH kit also has a much more detailed interior.

Edited by Richard M

Looking at the picture it looks like the Anson has the smooth "Oxford" style engine cowlings and the perspex observers dome on the cockpit roof and is without the fuselage turret, which means it will be slightly easier to start with the appropriate "late" boxing of the MPM/Special Hobby kit rather than the Airfix kit. The MPM/SH kit also has a much more detailed interior.

Thank you very much!

MPM/SH it is then...

I'm going to order on of those as soon as I've finished my Hampden.

Thanks again!

Andreas Samuelsson

Helsingborg, Sweden