A PV-1 question that probably can't be answered....

ReccePhreak

With all the interest generated by the new Revell PV-1 Ventura, here's a question that I would REALLY like to see answered.

I am looking for info on the Lockheed PV-1P Ventura. According to a Google search, I find the following statement repeated verbatim on a number of aircraft info sites:

All PV-1s were equipped with oblique cameras in the fuselage. A number were given additional cameras and redesignated as the PV-1P.

Does anybody have any info on the camera types and locations, especially including the locations & size of the windows/ports?

If I can get this info, then I will go buy the kit, if not then I won't.

Larry

Hi Larry,

According to the photo caption on p.100 of World War II Photo Intelligence, "...the Ventura (originally known as the 0-56 in its visual reconnaissance role) was used extensively for non-combat photo mapping. Camera installation made use of the windowed bay under the belly just forward of the tail."

The aircraft pictured has the windowed Hudson type nose. I'll go through the book this afternoon to see if there is any further Ventura/camera mentioned.

If you'll send me your current email address I'll scan the photo for you.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Larry,

don't know if this info will be of any use.Ex SAAF s/n 6458 Ventura PV-1P was sold and stored at Chandler Memorial airfield,Arizona.But,this and a load of other aircraft were moved or sold for scrap several years ago.Don't know if 'Googling' it may produce more info on the aircraft and its equipment.

Dave.

Hi Larry,

According to the photo caption on p.100 of World War II Photo Intelligence, "...the Ventura (originally known as the 0-56 in its visual reconnaissance role) was used extensively for non-combat photo mapping. Camera installation made use of the windowed bay under the belly just forward of the tail."

The aircraft pictured has the windowed Hudson type nose. I'll go through the book this afternoon to see if there is any further Ventura/camera mentioned.

If you'll send me your current email address I'll scan the photo for you.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even think of looking in that book, stupid me! :blush:

On page 150, there is a photo, showing the Trimet installation in the rear of a B-34. I can only assume that the same installation would be tried/used in the PV-1P Ventura?

Cheers,

Larry

Hi Larry,

Having looked at that photo I would agree that it is entirely possible for a Trimet setup to be installed as per for the B-34 as the rear window arrangement of the Ventura would certainly allow for it.

Cheers

Dave