Messerschmitt Bf 110 E/E2 Trop

Paul A H

Messerschmitt Bf 110 E/E2 Trop

1:72 Airfix

110eboxtop.jpg

Messerschmitt’s Bf 110 was designed to a German Air Ministry specification for a long-range, twin-engined monoplane to fulfil the role of zerstörer (destroyer, or heavy fighter). Fending off competing designs from Arado, Focke-Wulf and Henschel, the Bf 110 first flew in 1936 and was in service with Luftwaffe units by time war broke out.

Despite early successes in Poland and Scandanavia, the inadequacy of the Bf 110 as an out-and-out fighter was exposed mercilessly by the RAF during the Battle of Britain, resulting in heavy losses for the Luftwaffe. This was not the end of the line for the Bf 110, however, and it soldiered on throughout the war fulfilling many other roles, most notably that of night-fighter.

This new release from Airfix features the tropicalised Bf 110E/E2 version of the zerstörer as used in the North African and Middle Eastern theatres. Those of you who have the C-2/C-4 boxing of Airfix’s 110 will find this version instantly familiar as the two kits are identical with the exception of a small extra sprue featuring a new nose, cannon armament, nicely weighted wheels and air filters for the engines.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

Comprised of three sprues of grey plastic and one clear sprue, the whole package is crammed fairly tightly into one of Airfix’s sturdy new boxes. As you might expect from a new mould, the sprues are nice and clean, with no flash or sink marks. The plastic is very slightly textured, which gives the wings, fuselage, etc. a slightly matt finish. Panel lines are engraved throughout and may be rather heavy for some tastes, but should appear reduced under a few coats of primer.

The cockpit is quite nicely detailed, but does feature some ejector pin marks in slightly awkward places. There is no sidewall detail, but a little simple scratchbuilding with a few pieces of styrene strip will improve matters greatly. A nicely printed decal provides detail for the pilot’s instrument panel. Once the fuselage is buttoned up, the wings have to be assembled. At this point the builder must decide whether to drill holes in the wings for the optional armament. The inside of the undercarriage bays are provided as separate parts, and are very nicely detailed.

110esprue.jpg

The main undercarriage itself is comprise of five parts on each side, and will look very nice once complete. Airfix provide a variety of stores, including drop tanks and a choice of either 250kg or 500kg bombs. The canopy looks nice moulded, and features fine, crisp framing. Some patience with the masking tape will be the order of the day here, unless Eduard choose to favour the less patient amongst us with a set of their canopy masks.

clear.jpg

Two colour options are provided; a Bf 110 E-2/Trop of 8./Zerstörergeschwader 26 stationed in North Africa in 1941, and a Bf 110 E of 7/ Zerstörergeschwader 26 stationed in Libya in 1942. Both options feature the attractive RLM 78 Himmelblau/RLM 79 Sandbraun desert scheme. The decal sheet seems to be nicely printed and features a comprehensive range of stencils as well as national markings. No swastikas are provided.

110edecals.jpg

Conclusion

This is a nice kit at a fair price. It does not look as though it will present any major problems for the builder. The heavy panel lines are the only slight downside, but no doubt these can be improved with a little work. I’m certainly looking forward to getting stuck in to my copy!

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

Edited by Paul A H

I did a review and build of the Airfix BF110C-2/C-4 for Scale Modelling Now. My initial reactions were much the same as yours, it is a nice little kit but the further I got into it, the more I realised was lacking like no aileron balances, two or three aerials especially the iconic "clothes horse" aerial, I thought it strange that the wheel wells were quite nicely detailed whereas the cockpit wasn't. And as for the decals!!! I'll be interested to see what you think of them Paul.

Max

Edited by galgos

• 3 weeks later...