Perfect Plastic putty

beetcleaner

I intend to use Perfect Plastic putty on my next build as opposed to Squadron White. My usual method is to apply the SW with a toothpick and then blend in with a cotton bud soaked in nail varnish.

Its OK but if you have to go over it more than once the acetone can melt the plastic even though I'm using the "correct" type of nail varnish

If you use PPP and smooth it down with water does it have any effect when you come to wash the model prior to priming? This is something I always do to remove greasy fingerprints etc but I dont want to see the PPP being "reactivated" and running off the model when I clean it

Thanks in advance for any information.

I have not had this issue before but I use IPA to "clean" the model before painting. I imagine if it has properly gone off it will not rehydrate it but can't be 100% sure. Maybe do a little test on a scrap model and try it in a few days.

I would not use water to clean the model. I did, and while all I used was a damp cloth (not wet, damp) it broke down the PPP such that it was no longer smooth. The gap had reappeared. Upon inspection of the cloth, some PPP was on it. 

So so now I use IPA to wipe the model prior to priming / painting. No issues. 

As I understand it PPP doesn't 'go-off' it is a water soluble paste that will always be water soluble so washing with anything is probably not a good idea. Maybe you could wash the model prior to applying the PPP and then use nitrile or latex gloves while applying the PPP so that you can then go on to priming without risking damaging your work with the PPP.