scalemodeldb.com down - alternatives? Roll our own?

Schwarz-Brot

Hi there,

I frequently used scalemodeldb.com/paint, I guess many of you know it. For those who don't: It allowed to pick colours from a picture or give colours to the database and would return exact colourvalues in several ways (html, cmyk, ...) and closest fits from a range of manufacturers.

I heard this database was abandoned for quite a while, but still online and working. Finally it seems to be off. At least I cannot reach it anymore since a few weeks. Do you know an alternative? Is there anybody here in contact with the owner? Maybe this helpful tool could be obtained for and integrated into another site (britmodeller for example ;-) )? Is there someone around who could build such a system? I think britmodeller is big enough and has enough impact to even get the input of some manufacturers?

I am not able to program and maintain such a program, but would be willing to help with filling the database, contact manufacturers, make coffee, whatever helps.

What do you guys think?

I found a website that is very interesting and might help someone.

Work both ways, so you can play with mixing colors and see the result, but you can also start with a color and the site will calculate how to mix it from other colors.

http://trycolors.com/

I guess it is possible to make custom color palettes from f.ex the Humbrol paints and then use this website to find closest fit. Might even be possible to calculate a mix of Humbrol paints to make a desired color.

Edited by square

There are several sites out there like this. The problem is the connection to a database of modelcolours (and any other  hobby colours...)

13 hours ago, square said:

Might even be possible to calculate a mix of Humbrol paints to make a desired color.

I don't think this would work out. Paints don't behave in a linear manner. If a database existed one could add own mixes and give the ratio, but I doubt this would be a really useful feature. How should the true colour values be determined? I guess few of us have the tools to do so.

• 1 month later...

if its of any use Humbrol have a paint chart pdf which has conversion tables to other paint manufacturers but its not comprehensive and Revell do a cross reference chart to Testors.

just found this http://www.paint4models.com/ where they have a very comprehensive cross reference chart to download.  I know there not exactly the same but they might help?

Edited by dadofthree