Dh hornet

robvulcan

The Ian Huntley plans are not good especially around the cockpit area, in fact all of the published plans are poor and have serious issues with the fuselage length. The correct length for an F.3 should be 38'.4" not the 37' .0" often quoted. In a number of schematic drawings the inches have been missed off. The Mk.1 is shown as 37' 8" on an early drawing but this appears not to include a (proposed?) tail light fitting of a further 2". I personally have long suspected that the true Mk.1 length was 37' 10" but the person who drew the general outline drawings missed off the 1.

A better drawing is the original one in Aircraft of the fighting Powers (believe it or not) but this is the first to suffer from the 37' 0" short fuselage errors. The Huntley drawings are peppered with inaccuracies such as the radiator area, the wing top surface at the main spar as well as the windscreen /canopy area. There were three different elevators used on the various Mks.

I have been working on new drawings using material from many sources including a great deal of assistance from David Collins. Of interest the starboard engine is marginally longer then the port due to the need to fit a gearbox idler gear for the counter rotating propeller (look for the panel line).

John

The Ian Huntley plans are not good especially around the cockpit area, in fact all of the published plans are poor and have serious issues with the fuselage length. The correct length for an F.3 should be 38'.4" not the 37' .0" often quoted. In a number of schematic drawings the inches have been missed off. The Mk.1 is shown as 37' 8" on an early drawing but this appears not to include a (proposed?) tail light fitting of a further 2". I personally have long suspected that the true Mk.1 length was 37' 10" but the person who drew the general outline drawings missed off the 1.

A better drawing is the original one in Aircraft of the fighting Powers (believe it or not) but this is the first to suffer from the 37' 0" short fuselage errors. The Huntley drawings are peppered with inaccuracies such as the radiator area, the wing top surface at the main spar as well as the windscreen /canopy area. There were three different elevators used on the various Mks.

I have been working on new drawings using material from many sources including a great deal of assistance from David Collins. Of interest the starboard engine is marginally longer then the port due to the need to fit a gearbox idler gear for the counter rotating propeller (look for the panel line).

John

Thank you, John!

Thanks Wookie, at last count I had 10 Frog/Frogspawn.

Nick