1/48 F-16 ADF

scarlett

Afternoon all,

With the release of the 1/48 Kinetic F-16A MLU, can a F-16 ADF be built from the box contents?

I know the pylons for the AIM-7's are not included, although these can be found in some of Kinetic's F-18 kits, the modified ADF tail with bulges is included in the kit, is the port side fuselage light included? Have I missed anything else?

Most importantly what are peoples thoughts on the kit overall, anywhere near the Tamiya F-16C quality and accuracy?

Many thanks

Paul

The port side light is included. It was on more variants than just the ADF. The initial boxings do not have the correct IFF bird slicers.  Some later boxings have a modified lower fuselage sprue with one of the two required. . No idea which ones and sometimes it's just a later production run of previous releases.  There is a part that looks like it's for an ADF bird slicer, but it's really for the Korean KF-16 and the profile of the antennas is different.

The other problem is the base of the vertical tail is off.  The cross section is too square at the joint for the tail piece making the base of the vertical tail too fat. The cross section is based the C model vertical tail, while the A model is more of a trapezoid cross section

If you can work around the tail problem (or just don't care) there is one ADF variant that can be built out of the box. Jordan has several ex-USAF ADF planes that they sent through the MLU program and that replaced the IFF antennas with the later style common to the MLU planes. It also has a full complement of scab plates so you still need to find those. It's kind of neat to see one of these loaded with LGBs and carrying a Sniper pod. Jordan, Pakistan and I think Thailand still operate ADFs, but AFAIK only Jordan has sent them through the MLU.

AtxeBH6.png

Edited by Steve McArthur