Watched the latest Dune last week and I was really blown away by it so I decided I need a few ornithopters in my collection.

As I’m on a pretty tight budget and seeing as there isn’t a kit of  the two seat ornithopter, the plan is to 3D print the main ornithopter and scratch the other. Still haven’t settled on a scale but it’ll be either 1/72 or 1/48.

So far I have a download 3D model of the big ornithopter which I’ll need to scale and slice, then once my printers back in action ( waiting on parts in the post) I’ll print it off.

And a set of drawings I’ve put together in Amadine for the two seater. I’ll probably make a wooden buck for this one and vac form the fuselage components. I’m hoping I can borrow some of the components from the main ornithopter like the blades and landing struts.

IMG-0626.pngThe two seater approximately scaled to 1/72.

• Like 4

Hmm the main ornithopter is 22.1 m long which gives a length of 307mm 

As I have it the two seater is 250mm both of which are a nice size so I think I’ll shout for 1/72 for both.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looking forward to this.

One major caveat this might ( uncharacteristically for me be a slow build)

And a small point I could buy a kit for the large ornithopter ( must figure a snappier name) and but a 3D model for the other but for me the building is ( at least) half the fun plus I’m going to deliberately use state of the art side by side with old school, again cause I love both.

The obvious parallel being a friend of mine who hunts as a pastime ( not a hobby I really approve of but he only hunts what he eats) who switched to bow hunting. And made the comment that his first year. Of bow hunting might as well have been sponsored by PETA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1