1/35 Schnellboot S-38 & harbor scene

2Step

I just realized my last post from beginning of the week wasn't actually posted :wtf: I must have not pressed ENTER or so ...

Well, I had some down time, not hobby related. Then I changed the jetty, as announced. The original limiting factor was the availability of the "bigger blocks" plastic profile (as seen in the pic below). That was a leftover of my fathers HO train set which I salvaged after we had to take the set down, when he was diagnosed with cancer. It was a big set up and he sold about have his trains etc. but after he passed a couple of years ago, I still have about 50+ engines and a a few hundred waggons etc. I couldn't get a reasonable price for. So I found instead a place to put at least the engines in a showcase at my place. Since then, I managed to reuse a bunch of little things that I could take with me in my projects, e.g. that plastic profile (which must be from like the 60's if not earlier!!), as a memeory of my dad.

So, I had to redo the jetty differently. I also had to partly make a new surface, which not totally came out as I had wanted it to.

spacer.png

I also added the 20mm gun:

spacer.png

After that came the railing which went ok and after that it kind of went downhill.

The windows on the bridge were one desaster ofter the other: I couldn't bent the PE parts as required, so I cut them. The white glue (normally my favorite for clear plastic parts), didn't hold the pieces together. Taking it apart, the metal was bend out of shape. Then I used superglue which of course, as ecpected, I could not keep away from the clear plastic. In the meantime I had to paint it a few times because due to all the man handling, the paint was chipping.

My only excuse is, I can tell from my own experience that plexiglas or real glas in the harsh environment of the sea does not keep very well. In that aspect, I guess, it looks very accurate.

I don't understand why Italeri could not have molded each window as one piece in clear plastic instaed of 3 PE parts and the clear plastic sheet....:headbang:  :facepalm:

Judge by yourself:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final act in the drama: some soft weathering of the hull, as you can see above and here:

spacer.png

So, I consider this more or less done. I did not do the camouflage of the hull, the weathering of the below waterline hull, the mooring lines are still missing and I left out the swivelling chairs in the bridge (my CO is a hard nose who doesn't think his watch officers need those creature comforts - and the pieces would have not really fit with the two crewmembers I placed there).

When I have some decent weather conditions to take some good pictures, I will post those pictures in the completed section of the forum.

Until then, thanks everybody for watching and your very helpful comments. If you have any more, please feel free!

Cheers

• Like 8