1/35 Schnellboot S-38 & harbor scene

2Step

I once made a 1/72 schnellboot so this all seems slightly familiar but there are so many more possibilities in the bigger scale; possibilities that you are exploiting to the full. This is going to be fabulous. 👍

I admire the tiny logbook (?) near the wheel: it is very neatly made. (As is everything else on deck.) The pencil is painted to look like a well-known German brand (which is still made these days); is it a HB (No. 2 in the U.S.)?

I am getting a little bit ticked off by Italeri. Not only are some of the part numbers in the instructions not matching the actual part numbers, but I also found by now on two different sprues different parts with the same number. One would think that a company as experienced as Italeri can at least get so much right :swear:

I am done with main parts of the bridge/wheelhouse but need to paint the main deck before  I can put things together. Pics to follow

Cjeers

On 16/01/2024 at 08:45, Bertie McBoatface said:

I once made a 1/72 schnellboot so this all seems slightly familiar but there are so many more possibilities in the bigger scale; possibilities that you are exploiting to the full. This is going to be fabulous. 👍

Thanks. Yeah I am enjoying the larger scale more than I thought I would. The "bad" thing is, it requires more details - and with the sources so scarce, I have many unanswered questions. I am sure one could add a lot more detail to the kit, if one could just see more real life images. So I have to depend on my own memories of ships and transcribe them to this one, wether it was like that or not...

(Advantage: without those pics, no one can proof me wron either 😇)

• Like 1

On 17/01/2024 at 01:55, Peter2 said:

I admire the tiny logbook (?) near the wheel: it is very neatly made. (As is everything else on deck.) The pencil is painted to look like a well-known German brand (which is still made these days); is it a HB (No. 2 in the U.S.)?

Yep, it is supposed to be a logbook. Good spotting!

The pencil is slightly oversized, but it is a cut off piece of a tiny nail (I think railroaders use them to nail the tracks to the base). I admit I like how it came out :giggle:

For me, that is part of the fun of modelling. The research into the items, in this case, that you would find on a real ship. It is astonishing what you can dig up online. All the books, charts etc. that are used here are pictures of bonafide Kriegsmarine items. Especially militaria auctions etc are a good source

6 minutes ago, 2Step said:

The "bad" thing is, it requires more details - and with the sources so scarce, I have many unanswered questions. I am sure one could add a lot more detail to the kit, if one could just see more real life images.

Look at this building.

I think Steve has a lot of information on the Schnellbot. Ask him the questions you are interested in.

1 hour ago, 2Step said:

if one could just see more real life images.

HI,

Thanks Dmitriy for the shout-out. 

I did a ton of research for my Type 38 model, and have dozens of pictures that may help.   For instance, note the canvas side-screens on the long engine room vents, missing from most models

DSCN2166

Please just ask and I will see if I can be of assistance.

btw, this is the image I have of the wheelhouse, think you did a good job there

image098

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1

Oh, btw, I am a little bit "disappointed" that no one mentione my great sextant on of the pictures .... I thought that came out pretty well, being made out of the frames of PE parts

Yes, yes, I know it's fishing for compliments :partytime:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

HI,

Thanks Dmitriy for the shout-out. 

I did a ton of research for my Type 38 model, and have dozens of pictures that may help.   For instance, note the canvas side-screens on the long engine room vents, missing from most models

DSCN2166

Please just ask and I will see if I can be of assistance.

btw, this is the image I have of the wheelhouse, think you did a good job there

image098

Cheers

Steve 

I just began to look at your build. looks fantastic. I might pm you a bunch of questions if I don't find it in your thread - if you don't mind. At least it's not too late to change the wheelhouse, e.g. the engine room telegraph!

@Dmitriy1967 to check on this forum for previous build should have been my first step. Thanks for the tipp!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Feel free, always happy to help

Cheers

Steve

Going to the thread already helped ;)

The antenae holders and the hatch between bridge and chart room (?) were two of my unknowns. Also, how did the hatches look on the inside/underside - also answered...

I am happy to see you picked up on the lights for the life rings, I was planning on doing them too

I see that you have the wooden surfaces as painted but some paint chafed off? is that correct? I was wondering how that wood looked, as I couldn't imagine untreated wood, put painted might be slippery ... I probably will leave mine wood color.

On the subject of weathering the boat I was undecided. Normaly any good coxswain would paint everything (well, have people paint everything) as soon as it is back to port (and those boats normally stayed out only for the night). But I have no idea if that regime was kept up in wartime with less "free" time and probably less supplies readily available.  I probably will go for a relatively clean boat (especially in the Black Sea) - Not least of all, so I cannot screw up a good model by bad weathering (I tend to overdo).

I liked your solution for the dodgers (right word for the canvas covering of the railing?), I originally thought about paper towels drenched in watered down Elmers. Maybe I leave them off to show more of the boat. I could justify that, as it is displayed in port, as they were hardly ever missing at sea (without them it was probably on the deck like wading right in the ocean).

Also quite a few pictures unkown to me, so more stuff to study.

And finally, really great build. I like to scratchbuild little projects. This would have literally killed me!!!!

Cheers

Edited by 2Step
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2Step said:

Oh, btw, I am a little bit "disappointed" that no one mentione my great sextant on of the pictures .... I thought that came out pretty well, being made out of the frames of PE parts

Gidday, I went back and found it. I didn't realize that you had made it yourself. And yes, it's a neat little job.

But not as good as that pencil  .   .   .  😁       Only joking, it's very good. Regards, Jeff.

33 minutes ago, 2Step said:

I was wondering how that wood looked, as I couldn't imagine untreated wood, put painted might be slippery

Thanks for your kind comments.  It was my first Kriegsmarine boat and all my reference material was RN so I had to do a lot of homework, even more on the R-boot.  I have many more pictures (~300) that I didn't post so please ask away and I'll see if I have a shot that helps

Wood is always an interesting topic.  The one thing it wouldn't be would be shiny brown colour as wood goes grey very quickly in wet conditions, they are not super yachts.  I don't know if they painted the wood grey, but varnish would be hard to come by and they had plenty of grey paint so I suspect they did but it would wear off.  The wood on my boat is lime wood so it needed toning down and I liked the wear effect I got from painting it and sanding it back to differentiate different paths across the deck, seem to bring a greater sense of realism.  The picture my help, it shows the cross duck boards quite grubby.  It also shows those side skirts on the vents I mentioned, seem to have a bar at the bottom weighing them down.

Fahrstand_2

I have a lot of 3d models I drew and printed that would work well at 1:35th scale if you're in need, including that ring (image upside down, sorry)

ring

Good luck with the rest of the model, that's certainly a very large diorama

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Thanks for your kind comments.  It was my first Kriegsmarine boat and all my reference material was RN so I had to do a lot of homework, even more on the R-boot.  I have many more pictures (~300) that I didn't post so please ask away and I'll see if I have a shot that helps

Wood is always an interesting topic.  The one thing it wouldn't be would be shiny brown colour as wood goes grey very quickly in wet conditions, they are not super yachts.  I don't know if they painted the wood grey, but varnish would be hard to come by and they had plenty of grey paint so I suspect they did but it would wear off.  The wood on my boat is lime wood so it needed toning down and I liked the wear effect I got from painting it and sanding it back to differentiate different paths across the deck, seem to bring a greater sense of realism.  The picture my help, it shows the cross duck boards quite grubby.  It also shows those side skirts on the vents I mentioned, seem to have a bar at the bottom weighing them down.

Fahrstand_2

I have a lot of 3d models I drew and printed that would work well at 1:35th scale if you're in need, including that ring (image upside down, sorry)

ring

Good luck with the rest of the model, that's certainly a very large diorama

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the offer of the 3D stuff. My son prints for me if I have a need -  and the appropriate files ;) I will try the light first with some sprue and see how it comes out.

I see now what you mean with the skirts - something to think about. The explanation with avoiding spray into the engine room sounds reasonable ...

here you can see a little bit what I intend with the wood (a bit bleached by the Black Sea sun) and weathering. Really subdued.

spacer.png

You don't happen to know the purpose of the two back rooms (here not covered by the roof. You mentioned a chart room? That would be quite small, but logical right behind the bridge...

Oh, and one other thing the "Zielsäule", the binocular topped machine for aiming the torpedoes: there seem to have been two versions (actually both included in the S 38 kit). The one here installed (the other one in the kit doesn't fit) and the one you were using. I have only found pics of the second one. Do you have more info about that? Please and thank you ...

Cheers

• Like 5

@Steve D

I forgot to mentioned that I am impressed by the books you get to build your models. I build (and NOT scratch build) them pretty quick and that amount would have become expensive fast :hungover:

I made good use of our military library system when building my 1/48 scale Luftwaffe aircraft (They even have original handbooks from back when, but for those you have to go in to read them, the regular books they sent to my office. Very convenient ;) ). But now that I am retired I have to make do with the www

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I went back and found it. I didn't realize that you had made it yourself. And yes, it's a neat little job.

But not as good as that pencil  .   .   .  😁       Only joking, it's very good. Regards, Jeff.

That pencil was a spontaneous idea when I was building something. Don't you love it when something so simple and done in about 1 minute turns out great??

The sextant took a wee bit longer

Edited by 2Step
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2Step said:

the "Zielsäule", the binocular topped machine for aiming the torpedoes:

I'm no expert on this.  I could only find enough information to model the RZA5 based on this drawing.  My model is a combination of resin and brass etch

target computer

this is the picture I have

rza5

and this one

Foto_20

On the starboard is the radio and encryption room I think, note the aerials come from there.  I think the port side is actually a companion way to below decks but I've not seen a cutaway so could be totally wrong here

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

here shows the difference between the two devices. The right (unused) one seems to the one on your build and on most references. The RZA 5 was also used on post WWII FPB of the Bundesmarine (more modern version probably)

spacer.png

yeah, that's why I was looking for more references to add detail. Doesn't help me if it's the wrong device :dull:

Edit: reading this again it sounds a bit like criticism that you showed me the other device - that's not what I meant!! Only the lack of good references for the device used by Italeri ...

Cheers

Edited by 2Step

Looking thru all the pictures of the main deck, it clarifies some things and makes me wonder about others...

My open door/hatch philosophy got a serious set back when I realized (quite belately) that when the hatch is open, you can see the three distinctive bulleyes from underneath. I am not sure if I really want to recreate that, so maybe the hatches will only be open a smidge, if at all.

As mentioned earlier, I decided that anchoring was not a daily business for the boats. So the anchor remains latched down on the upper deck while the chain is stowed belowdecks ... But the question of the anchor capstan on the focsle rises its ugly head again. On some pictures there is such a thing. Seemingly not on the newer boats (as my S38). @Steve D Do you have information about that. I am not sure I would change my layout so late in the game - I am just dying to know.

Interestingly enough, in some of the movies, the windows/windbreakers on the bridge edge seemed to be folded down. Maybe I will try that too

I added the side skirts to the vents, as @Steve D recommended. Also, there seemed to be, on some units, holders for a (fire)hose at the end of those vents. If I find something appropriate for the hose, I will add that

(Again, as I don't build a specific boat at a specific time during the war, I take some liberties here)

I had planned from the outset to add some helmets at the action stations. The kit even comes with a few. However, I have not really found many pictures that support that approch or show exactly were the helmets would have been stored. Probably have to wing it...

I am making progress, pictures to follow (although my wife comes back tomorrow, so I will spend a bit less time on this kit ;) ).

Cheers

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 2Step said:

Do you have information about that

I checked all my 90 odd type38 images and I can only find the capstan on this one which I think is an early type 38.  Note also the anchor is a much heavier weight model than the light anchor I have drawings of.  This boat may have been operating on a deep water area.  It also has a handrail to the starboard side to help the crew while operating the capstan.  So, I think you are right that they were not generally fitted, certainly not on the later boats that I have images of

Schnellboot 좥rnimmt Torpedos

Re your hose cage racks, I didn't include them on my model but this image shows one very clearly.  Other images don't have them fitted, things were not always the same in war time.  This boat seems to be in Norwegian camo

NiXWk0N

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I checked all my 90 odd type38 images and I can only find the capstan on this one which I think is an early type 38.  Note also the anchor is a much heavier weight model than the light anchor I have drawings of.  This boat may have been operating on a deep water area.  It also has a handrail to the starboard side to help the crew while operating the capstan.  So, I think you are right that they were not generally fitted, certainly not on the later boats that I have images of

Schnellboot 좥rnimmt Torpedos

Re your hose cage racks, I didn't include them on my model but this image shows one very clearly.  Other images don't have them fitted, things were not always the same in war time.  This boat seems to be in Norwegian camo

NiXWk0N

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the checking. The latter photo of the fire hose was the one I was referring to.

So I am free to go with whatever I choose :phew:

Cheers

• Like 1

:offtopic:

someone's in trouble. I am just happy to have such a video from the Royal Navy so the the Deutsche Marine is not alone with embarrassing online videos

As I want to show one torp in the process of loading, anyone have any better pictures, drawings etc. for the device they are using to pull it into the tube?

Any help appreciated!!

spacer.png

Looks like something clamped to the rudder of the torpedo with a wire attached somewhere to move the torpedo forward - I guess :shrug:

Cheers

Edited by 2Step