Seversky S-2 from Dora Wings P-35

2996 Victor

My LMS ordered in a Dora Wings 1/48 Seversky J9 for me, which I was able to collect yesterday. So far, so good!

Got it home, opened the box, admired the plastic - it really is a lovely kit. But unfortunately, closer inspection revealed that Sprue A (fuselage and cowling) is mis-packed - it's actually the one for the P-35 kit, not the J9/P-35A kit. The cowl guns are in troughs, not blisters. A bit annoying as I wanted to do the J9, but it's perfectly buildable and I'm really not bleating.

In considering my options, I thought about getting some AM decals for a USAAC P-35. But then I came across the S-2 owned and raced by Frank Fuller.

So my question is: what are the differences between the P-35 and the S-2?

As far as I know, apart from military equipment obviously, the differences between the P-35 and the S-2 are primarily no dihedral in the outer wings and a lower canopy. I read somewhere that the IP is entirely different as well.

Are there any other differences that I should be aware of before I embark on sprue-cutting? I would be looking to model the aircraft in its #77 guise, painted (metallic?) green, i.e. 1938-39 Bendix Trophy races.

I know there have been a few builds here on BM, notably the late-lamented Moa with a superb 1/72 Rareplanes vac, and a couple of Williams Bros 1/32 builds (Chris @bigbadbadge - did you build yours?).

There are a few photos on t'interweb, but I've not yet found any definitive information. 

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed!

All the best, 

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark

I still have mine to do, I will send you over via PM a copy of the Williams Brothers instructions which will help explain the differences, the dihedral difference wasn't something I was aware of,  but not knowledgeable about the the type.   I was unsure which to do mine as though yet and ghere are bits that need correction I believe.

Give me a while to dig out the kit and I will photograph the instructions etc as the IP is different in each one.

Good luck with your build

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark

I still have mine to do, I will send you over via PM a copy of the Williams Brothers instructions which will help explain the differences, the dihedral difference wasn't something I was aware of,  but not knowledgeable about the the type.   I was unsure which to do mine as though yet and ghere are bits that need correction I believe.

Give me a while to dig out the kit and I will photograph the instructions etc as the IP is different in each one.

Good luck with your build

Chris

Thanks, Chris, that's incredibly kind of you! The IP info is especially welcome as I've not found any photos of it as yet.

The more I look at the pics I have found, the more I looks like the upper surface of the wing is horizontal with the lower surface tapering upward toward the wing tip. Photos of the S-1 look like standard P-35 dihedral but it's hard to be sure.

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Pm inbound fella, hopefully some helpful info there.

Chris

Thank you, Chris, for all your help - that's an absolute goldmine of information and exactly what I was looking to find!

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 1