1/72 GWH F-15C (pre-MSIP II) from F-15J kit?

Phantome

Seems to me it's possible to build an early F-15C (pre-MSIP II) from the F-15J kit, but can anyone confirm this? It's clearly not possible from the F-15C kit since it lacks the M sprue that has the arresting hook cover. The J kit also includes the old style rails for the wing pylon AIM-9s, as well as 4 x AIM-7s. The only downside is there are no AIM-9s in the kit (only JASDF AAM-3s) but it's not like anyone doesn't like three million spares.

Has anyone tried this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,the antennas over the fins: the J have both smaller than the C that have a bigger one on the left 

and the radome of the Japanese eagle has a sort of strips over , strips that are missing on the C and E variants (are present on the latest EX and QA)

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 7:05 AM, Kenshiro78 said:

Hi,the antennas over the fins: the J have both smaller than the C that have a bigger one on the left 

and the radome of the Japanese eagle has a sort of strips over , strips that are missing on the C and E variants (are present on the latest EX and QA)

I believe the J kit has all of these including the normal and J-specific radome (which in worst case scenario would only require sanding off) as well as the skinny and fat fin antennas.

Would need to check the cockpit, I think the J cockpit is not that far off from the pre-MSIP II cockpit so any changes will probably not be obvious at 1/72 scale.

The instrument panels are identical between in the early C and the early J. The J has one extra panel on the right hand arm rest for the J/ASW-10 datalink - unlike most models the GWH F-15J kit actually has this modeled. There should be one panel with three dots across it at one of the very aft most positions (which one changes depending on the version of the J and I'm not sure which one you will see in the kit) - sand that flat and if you use the decal black it out. Or don't do anything because no one will ever notice.