Photo etch parts- what tools do you use?

Lawzer

Folks,  any hacks I can use to shape photo etch?  Previously I’ve used a steel ruler but results haven’t been great.  I was going to buy a specific pe tool until I saw the cost of them?!

also I’ve read about people essentially soldering parts together- any other process as that has holes burnt through fingers and house fires written all over it if I’m involved……..😬

• Haha 2

• Lawzer changed the title to Photo etch parts- what tools do you use?

Depends on the size of the part really. I have two Hold and Folds, a 2" and a 5.5", but then I build etched railway kits. Of the two the smaller gets the most use, but for really small jobs a pair of decent smooth jawed pliers work well. Remember, where tools are concerned quality is appreciated long after cost is forgotten (or is that big posh cars?).

Cyano can work just as well as solder in most cases, I prefer to solder for railway stuff but for detailing parts for plastic kits I'd just stick to superglue.

• Like 3

I've found that working on a hard surface is a great help - I use a kitchen ceramic tile - both for cutting off the fret and as a base for bending. Hold the p.e. down firmly and use a knife blade to bend. For example if you need a curve bend round a cocktail stick. Alternatively hold the p.e. firmly with a pair of tweezers and use the knife blade to bend. A piece of blu tac on the end of a cocktail stick is handy to keep track of the little things.

I suspect the metal ruler may work if the underlying surface is hard and flat but it seems a bit too large to me.

This might seem a strange suggestion but have you tried a finger (pointing downwards) to hold the p.e. in place and then use the blade to bend the p.e. up against your finger nail? 

Re-reading this it's a bit of a brain dump but hopefully helpful.

Good luck

Mark

• Like 2