RAF Aircraft Panel Marking Font

JSF-TC

Can anyone identify the font used for the external markings (detail panel markings, not the large serial numbers) on RAF aircraft of the 1970's/ 1980's, particularly for the Buccaneer with the wrap-around grey/ green scheme?

Here's an example of what I'm trying to re-create.

https://cdnw.nickpic.host/r7oWUm.jpg

Many thanks

Paul

At first I thought RAF PW which I normally use for such stencilling would do but it isn't quite right in this context.

:( 

Looking through the fonts installed in my PC I get the most similarity from DejaVu Sans.

I've browsed Grotesque with an unconvinced eye, close though if you have it available.

• Like 1

The top line is RAF PW which I usually use for text stencilling unless the call out is for broken stencilling

The next two lines are DejaVu Sans printed in Bold and on the lowest, upper line Century Gothic after the first GLYCOL

The next line is Roadgeek 2005 printed again in bold and the line of thick horrid letters is Swis721 BlkEx BT

My own vote would be DejaVu

16617805269797231510843861927623.jpg

The G form in DejaVu gives me faith in it, can I ask what scale you are looking into?

• Like 1

Back in my day (76-85) the 'painters and dopers' used a stencil machine. A table mounted thing, one fed in a sheet of wet and dry, grit side down, (always fine grit, I think coarser stuff would tear) turned a wheel to expose the wanted letter and pressed a lever. The letter would be punched out and the paper moved aside slightly ready for the next one. After one or two lines, as appropriate, it would be lightly taped in place and paint dusted on at low psi.

Are these things still about?

Something akin to this:

https://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net/static/doc/2e/f8/524ab43b6757aaecb29445120dd5.pdf

I suppose that with the section and reference (sexual peference!) of one you could back-engineer the font it used. 

• Like 2