Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien, Revell 1/72

Old Man

I started this for the 'Revell-Monogram Classic GB', and as a spur to speedy work am entering it here as well....

spacer.png

This is the intended subject....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Profile and photo both from the old Aircam on the type, from Boxart Den. Obviously the glare panel isn't blue, but otherwise the thing seems reasonable enough, the ornate 'cherry blossom' unit badge did not make it to New Guinea. Mottle will be applied over aluminum foil.

I don't mean to do much detailing on this, and haven't the heart to match the old thing against any drawings. It meets 'looks like one at a glance to me' standard, and I am more interested in the ;field camouflage' finish. However, the landing gear gape needed tending....

spacer.png

Opening was outlined in styrene rod, most 1.0mm square, some 1.0mm x 0.5mm strip, then capped with a bit of 10 thou card. Here it is from the outside, still with just one closed off.

spacer.png

Both are now closed off, and wings assembled.

spacer.png

This is just to illustrate the good fit of major elements. The fuselage is press-fit, and so is the canopy. I found it like that when I took down the box, and was surprised to find it wasn't glued. Assembled wings are press-fit only, and it doesn't look like filler will be needed. I mean to put in a pilot figure. Surface will have to be smoothed and scribed for the foil.

• Like 5

Welcome along to the build and great to see an old classic in the build as well...same with the Revell model!  :rofl2:

Bad puns aside, great that you are able to joined us and to bring a classic model along as well.

As much as we like to see the newest and greatest, it is alway super nice to see these early models being built a well.... probably lots for fond memories for some.

Well good luck with the build and I do look forward to seeing her completed.

• Like 1

Moving along, major assembly complete.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fit was excellent. I've been doing vintage kits lately, and have been surprised by the practically fall together fit of the basic assembly.

This got a spot-coat of rattle-can silver, then was hit with fine-grit salon board for rivets, after a couple very small bits were tended to. Scribing has gone fairly well, but I expect will get some last minute touchings up before I start putting on the foil. I think I won't mind a few 'ghost rivets', but if I do, they're easy to fix.

• Like 5

Moving right along on this....

spacer.png

This is under a 'first coat' of foil. That's not my usual practice, though I have doubled a patch here and there. I've lately had some success putting the adhesive on the model, rather than the foil. The advantage is clean up, excess trimmed away sticks to nothing. It didn't go well this time, I don't think I had enough glue on, and under the foil I didn't like my scribing.

The white bit on the nose is a patch of styrene scrap filling the kit's gun troughs. They're just too oversize to leave alone.

Here is the thing under final foil and ready for markings and mottle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The canopy is just press-fit, to illustrate just how well it does fit.

It will be close, but I think I'll have it done by the deadline....

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 5

I have seen foil used before, it does give you a proper realistic finish. I have to admit I've never tried it before, must do one day.

Am hoping you manage to complete her on time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I have seen foil used before, it does give you a proper realistic finish. I have to admit I've never tried it before, must do one day.

Am hoping you manage to complete her on time.

Thanks, Rick. I appreciate your straightening out the time.

I am of the 'nothing looks so like metal as metal' school. I use kitchen foil aged by boiling with eggshells, and an adhesive MicroMark sells, but I think glue for gold leaf can be used. The mighty modelers of old, I'm told, used shellac, let dry tacky but not cured.

I like my chances. I'm taking a break, I've got all markings but the kanji character on, and the first coat for the mottle is just about dry, I expect tomorrow I'll be at bits and bobs, landing gear and such. I have accurized a little: toned down the upper nose profile, and will trim the landing gear a bit.

well done you made it!!!!  :thumbsup:

PLus who looks so good as well, as I said early it's great to see new life being brought back to a classic model.

Thank you for joining the build, I do hope you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rich.

It'll be a while before I set myself a tight deadline again, but it was a kick to beat it.

Having to double foil put me behind the eight-ball, and the plastic seemed to resist modern glues where smaller bits were involved.

The old thing does build up nice, and anything looks good under foil and daubed with green....