Remember this?

3 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

You may have arrived there 'accidentally' but you are dead right about the weathering effect of the different shades of paint. Looking at the fin in particular, that detail really lifts the model. It's a little story (my thing!) about maritime operations and matt paint. Great!

“Well, cover me in flour and egg and bake me for 40 mins”!! 😂🤣Thank you, there was quite a story to this one. Even when away I still always took pictures of the build stages of my model, a good habit I learned from Britmodeller. 😀

Thank Yes, I agree, and aircraft were moved from squadron to squadron, group to group, even to different airforces in theatre. The 8th USAAF lost a few groups quite quickly to the 12th USAAF to support Operation Torch in North Africa in support of the ground forces, eg, the 97th Bg, the 301st Bg, and the Medium bomber B-26 marauder groups were transferred to the 9th USAAF, that’s just a few groups and all those aircraft would have insignia and other markings changed. There would be damage repair to aircraft that were battle damaged, they just painted with what they had, I doubt they had a wide selection of paint to use.

I realise of course that the Privateer was a US Navy aircraft but undoubtedly aircraft changed hands in the Pacific too.😀

Thank you Alan.

Thanks Almac, same wingspan as the B-24, with the Davis wing, they also extended the nose area, this would increase stability with weight of the second top turret and for the machine gun blisters at the waist, they had quite a range and arc of fire, no ball turret because they didn’t fly high enough to be bothered by attacks from below. Cheers, Mark.