Tamiya 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M5/5a Zero Fighter (Zeke)

The Mitsubishi A6M "Zero" is a long-range carrier-based fighter aircraft formerly manufactured by Mitsubishi Aircraft Company, a part of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and was operated by the Imperial Japanese Navy from 1940 to 1945. The A6M was designated as the Mitsubishi Navy Type 0 carrier fighter, or the Mitsubishi A6M Rei-sen. The A6M was usually referred to by its pilots as the Reisen, "0" being the last digit of the imperial year 2600 when it entered service with the Imperial Navy. The official Allied reporting name was "Zeke", although the name "Zero" was used colloquially as well.

Another fantastic 1/48 from Tamiya, up there with the best! As expected fit an finish are excellent on the same level as the P-51 and P-38 - really went to town with the chipping fluid on this one, rare to find one that hasn't been heavily weathered. Honestly cant think of any bad points with this model, maybe the lack of decals but other than that this was a joy to put together. The Cannons and cockpit details are additional from Eduard let me know what you think! :)

FK_Xn18WUAA9hQT?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FK_Xn2JX0AIjocB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FK_Xj7XWQAIiKnK?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FK_Xj8MWUAAo6Do?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FK_Xj8cXEAEyW1E?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FK_XgUvXwAEXWb_?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FK_XgUwXEAUpDJ4?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FK_Xbs-XoAM0Uh9?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FK_XbtAX0Asuetm?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I see what you mean about going overboard with the chipping fluid! 😄 And yet it still looks ok for a Zero. What was wrong with the Japanese paint industry back then!

I suggest going back over it with a toothbrush to get rid of those raised flaps of paint. They look a bit out of scale. Otherwise, well done!

Nothing wrong with the paints: the problem was the US blockade, by 1945 they were serious short of other supplies and that meant no primers.  Paints applied to an unprimed surface will peel like unprimed water-based acrylics do today (see various threads on this board.)    However this would not be appropriate to earlier years - so your A6M2s at Pearl Harbour etc should be fairly immaculate, and those late survivors in coral atolls still looked in fairly good condition (if faded) into the 70s at least..  Those photos of heavily weathered aircraft are generally those taken after the surrender, although signs were beginning to show in the Phillipines.  A6M5s, especially the more heavily armed ones, were late-war, but even so there are plenty of photos around of ones with the paint in good condition.  No doubt the code on the tail would mean something to someone better informed in such matters, but it looks a fairly late code.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I see what you mean about going overboard with the chipping fluid! 😄 And yet it still looks ok for a Zero. What was wrong with the Japanese paint industry back then!

I suggest going back over it with a toothbrush to get rid of those raised flaps of paint. They look a bit out of scale. Otherwise, well done!

will do, thanks for the advise 

15 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Nothing wrong with the paints: the problem was the US blockade, by 1945 they were serious short of other supplies and that meant no primers.  Paints applied to an unprimed surface will peel like unprimed water-based acrylics do today (see various threads on this board.)    However this would not be appropriate to earlier years - so your A6M2s at Pearl Harbour etc should be fairly immaculate, and those late survivors in coral atolls still looked in fairly good condition (if faded) into the 70s at least..  Those photos of heavily weathered aircraft are generally those taken after the surrender, although signs were beginning to show in the Phillipines.  A6M5s, especially the more heavily armed ones, were late-war, but even so there are plenty of photos around of ones with the paint in good condition.  No doubt the code on the tail would mean something to someone better informed in such matters, but it looks a fairly late code.

I was definitely going for the late 1944-45 look, especially with it being the A6M5 - i did read that the reason they were in such bad shape was because of the lack of primer available, i can imagine that kicking up chips of coral on the islands didnt do them any favours!

Sorry but I sincerely believe you overdone your chipping even for the period you mention. Those late mark Zeroes were often Home based and received care and attention by their ground crews. Second point : at one time those planes were new and they did not last long enough to look like they went in a washing machine. The rate of attrition was very very hight. I certainly respect your choice and approach, but allow me to write that it is not of my taste. Best regards😉

19 hours ago, Zigomar said:

Sorry but I sincerely believe you overdone your chipping even for the period you mention. Those late mark Zeroes were often Home based and received care and attention by their ground crews. Second point : at one time those planes were new and they did not last long enough to look like they went in a washing machine. The rate of attrition was very very hight. I certainly respect your choice and approach, but allow me to write that it is not of my taste. Best regards😉

no worries, appreciate the feedback. i'm still learning. i only started scale modelling over lockdown and with each model i tend to try something new, ive graduated from hand painting the basic Airfix models to spending a a few hundred pounds on materials and equipment which i add to with each model i make - this was the first time i've really used chipping fluid and accept that i may have used a little too much, i'm too concerned with being 100% historically accurate, as long as the desired effect is achieved. :)