Repositionable Bomb Bay Doors...

Lewis1965

Hi folks...

I recently bought the HK 1/48 Avro Lancaster and am curious to know if anyone that has made a bomber kit (any kit) with repositionable bomb bay doors?

I really wanted to be able to position them closed or open and not hinged as I think that would be more work that isn't necessary for me.

I thought about maybe mini- magnets...I am not too concerned with having the magnets seen when the doors are open and I am capable of scratch building doors that are closed that just magnet onto the underside...so I would have a set of open and a set closed and glued together

Just as I am writing this my head is full of ideas...lol

Thanks in advance for any help...

..Lew...

o7HkyHp.jpg?2

If you don't want hinged doors and are looking at separate open and closed options, have you considered building the bomb bay interior complete with bomb doors to slot inside the fuselage from below? 

This would be a shallow U section consisting of the bomb bay roof and sides, with the doors attached to the bay sides and supported by the jacks. 

You'd have to construct a false roof for the bomb bay to remain in the fuselage, and the bomb bay front and rear bulkheads would probably be best left as part of the fuselage. 

Thin steel sheet incorporated into the bay roof would enable you to use magnets above the false roof to hold the bay in position

You'd loose a small amount of scale height and width, but at 1/48 scale this wouldn't really be noticeable.

Separate closed doors with a box structure to replace the open bomb bay section would ensure correct alignment, and some strategically placed steel would allow the same magnets to hold it in position

• Like 1

Wow...No...I hadn't considered it...That sounds like a great idea...I knew if I posted someone would have ideas I hadn't thought of...I'll check the kit and see how feasible that would be but it sounds like it may be easier than fussing about with doors in a smaller area...Brilliant idea!...

Which ever way I go  with it I will post pics on how I dealt with it afterwards...

Good work on the Wildcat by the way...

Thanks for the reply Dave...

...Lew...

Edited by Lewis1965
  • Like 1