Gustav goes down the Danube

Possibly not the most approrpiate build to post on VE day but it's Bank holiday and I have time to take pictures, so here it is: my recently completed Bf 109G-6 of the Royal Hungarian Air Force "Red Puma" squadron. Couldn't resist the colourful tail on this one! The kit is 1/72 AZ Models "Danubian users" boxing but I adapted the camouflage and ID markings as I was suspicious of the box art instructions showing a non-standard scheme I could not verify. So here it is in standard German (WNF) pattern. I had some slight mishaps with sections of the vinyl mask lifting where the canopy is curved so I got primer on the transparent parts, but it seemes to have cleared up OK after scraping off and applying varnish.

All hand painted except the primer layer. Main camouflage colours are Xtracrylix, rest is Humbrol or Revell. For some reason the RLM 74 always comes out looking far lighter and more green when I take pictures of my models than how I see them. I like how the Xtracrylix brush on and how they look on the model on my shelf, but not so much how they turn out in pictures! Oh well! I'm terrified to ask if anyone can vouch for their colour accuracy because I don't want to go through learning to brush paint yet another brand.

Thanks for looking!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Aces High said:

That looks superb! The colourful tail is great, and you've done a really nice job with the mottling of the fuselage camo.

Thank you! I guess the brush will always be at a disadvantage for mottling, but in this scale I've found a technique that works for me 🙂 glad you like it.