1/12 Tamiya Ducati Desmosedici

9 hours ago, Wonky Donkey said:

Looking good Ian đź‘ŤYou can really see progression through this build.

On the mudguard, I wouldn't let it bother you in the slightest, personally. If it does though, one suggestion is to paint it semi-gloss black - sure, you'll lose the colour and Ducati logo, but this is a race bike and unpainted (carbon fibre) parts are regularly fitted either to repair damaged bits or to try out new parts etc.  I've seen loads of race bikes up close and personal, incl GP kit, and they can be fairly tatty round the edges (panels are constantly removed and refitted, leading to scratches, chips and such).

As for the decals, I've had some bother on a number of Tamiya m/c kits (it may of course just be me!), in particular those on curved, or smaller parts - so mudguards, and wheel rims especailly. My ZX-RR had no end of trouble getting the decals to sit down. Just about OK in the end, but not perfect.

Keep up the good work - looking forward to progress.

Mick..

Hi Mick, I like your signature box, “if it ain’t broke, it’s not mine”!! Great stuff.

Thanks for your comments and very true, when you see how quickly the mechanics turn the bikes around after someone has thrown one into the scenery must mean that they aren’t in factory condition. I think I’m just going to leave it, it’s not perfect, but that’s OK, as I’ve said previously with this build, I’m enjoying myself, learning new skills and corresponding with some very friendly people.

Regards Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to completion now, (apart from the decals, of course). Here are two pictures showing a trial fit of the side cowlings to make sure that the windscreen fairing is correctly placed before applying the glue. Once the windscreen fairing is fixed, I’ll take of the side cowlings and paint them.

44836983731_6c52601f1b_b.jpg

30965021068_47ab32d451_b.jpg

• Like 1

Everything is now painted and with the exception of the under-cowling, all fitted to the bike. The under-cowling has to have several decals applied, so I’ll fit it when they’re complete. Anyway I have been applying decals bit by bit and with thanks to Mick (aka Wonky Donkey) for the advice I got the wheel rim colour on without too much trouble. I needed to trim the carrier film on the decal back as far as I dared, particularly on the outside, where it needs to sit snug against the raised wheel edge, other than that, a degree of patience, the ability to use eleven fingers at once (plus all three thumbs) and the end result is shown below. There is a small crinkle on the front wheel (near the brake caliper) where the decals overlap, but hey, I expected major problems, so I’ll live with that.

44931695582_deabc2e587_b.jpg

44931695762_3f0af86f88_b.jpg

Edited by Ian T
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Wonky Donkey said:

Nice work, sir. Those rim decals look really good to me. 

Also (bike nerd that I am. ..) I really like the way you've done the rear axle mounts and chain adjusters. Lovely bit of detail, that! 👍 

W-D

Thanks W-D, the instructions call for the whole of the axle mount/chain adjusters to be Tamiya X11, which is chrome silver. I didn’t like the idea of losing the detail, but I haven’t got around to trying washes yet. So I painted the area in aluminium and then picked out the detail with a 1mm Molotow liquid chrome pen. This went on very nicely and I’m pleased with the result.

• Thanks 1

I guess that this will be the last post of this build in the ”work in progress” section. I’ve got a few more decals to place, a little bit of painting (screw heads etc.) and then the complete build will move to the “Ready for Inspection” section. I’ll have to figure out how to link the two threads together, any advice greatly appreciated.

Anyway, today’s pictures show the under-cowling complete, both off and then on the bike. I am impressed by how well the four separate decals went together and how well the under-cowling fitted to the side panels.

44135132055_c8f5dcd727_b.jpg

44135132165_03e147c826_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ian T said:

I guess that this will be the last post of this build in the ”work in progress” section. I’ve got a few more decals to place, a little bit of painting (screw heads etc.) and  I’ll have to figure out how to link the two threads together, any advice greatly appreciated.

Just copy the URL from your WIP from your browser's address bar and paste it into your RFI. (and/ or vice versa). 

Those decals are looking good, looking forward to some nice pics of the completed machine!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Just copy the URL from your WIP from your browser's address bar and paste it into your RFI. (and/ or vice versa). 

Those decals are looking good, looking forward to some nice pics of the completed machine!

That was quick!! Thanks JeroenS, that should be easy enough to follow.