Wessex HAS Mk.3 Etch Detail Set for Italeri Kit - 1:72 Eduard

Wessex HAS Mk.3 Etch Detail Set for the Italeri Kit

1:72 Eduard

pack.jpg

Various renditions of the Italeri Wessex have been progressed from the original tooling back in the 90’s. On the whole, it’s quite a pleasant kit with a nicely detailed cockpit and exterior, although lacks detail in the rear cabin area. I’ve also read that the rotors are set to turn the wrong way too. So let’s see what Eduard have provided to take the loveable Wessex further.

Set 73464 (interior & Exterior)

Providing two etch frets, you get one of them pre painted with the self adhesive backing. Below is a listing of what is included in the set, but I can’t help but feel that Eduard have missed a trick here. Following the recent review of the set they’ve released for the Cyber Hobby Sea King, I was hoping (or maybe expecting) a rear interior to address the kits lack of one. Unfortunately that hasn’t been included, probably for cost reasons so hopefully it will be released as a separate set at some point in the future. The instructions are clear and thorough, a copy of which can be viewed as PDF on the page shown in the 'Buy Now' link.

So, with that little grumble out of the way, here’s a list of what is included:

Pre-painted etch

• Seatbelts for the cockpit seats
  • Floor panels and centre console
  • Rudder pedals, multi-layered main panel
  • Overhead panel located between the upper windows

Unpainted etch

• Cockpit side wall framework
  • Cockpit access door framework
  • Detailed winch assembly enhancing kit winch
  • Grill lattice around rotor hub
  • Cockpit wind screen wipers
  • Main gear oleo scissors
  • Vast amount of grill panels, handles, hinges, antennas, reinforcement plates
  • Foot plates for cockpit access

2.jpg

1.jpg

bin.jpg

Zoom Set SS464

With this budget set, you get the pre-painted fret containing the items listed and photographed above.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

The cockpit will receive a great makeover with either of the sets reviewed, but the expanse of external improvements will have a huge impact on the look of your build in a way that would be very hard to replicate using plastic / scratch building in 1/72 small scale. It’s great to see Eduard giving the classic Royal Navy such attention recently.

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

Great review - thanks. I have this kit in the stash and have been patiently waiting for the etch to come out.

Shame theres no interior other than the cockpit, unless they do release it as a separate set I guess I'll be building it with the doors shut.

Ben