Airbrushing Revell enamel

XL929

Hope someone can help, I'm having a nightmare trying to airbrush with Revell enamels.

Too little thinner and it simply won't flow, but then suddenly too much and it spiders. Just can't seem to get the right balance. :confused:

I usually use Humbrol and WEM colourcoats and get on fine with them, but for some reason I just can't get on with the Revell enamels. Has anyone any ideas or experience? Many thanks!

PS: Am using an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse and spray between 15-20 psi.

Must admit I had a feeling the thinners may have been an issue, I've never used Revell Colourmix so will have to get hold of some. Have always used generic HMG thinners from my local model shop and they seem to work fine with Humbrol and WEM paints, but guess it may well be a compatibility issue with the Revell mix.

Thanks very much for you help :)

Could be the source of your problems, I've always used Colourmix since I read about it's fantastic compatibility with Xtracolor enamels in a magazine years back(they weren't wrong). I've tired a generic thinner like yourself when I've run out of CM and found it turned the paint chalky.

Hope someone can help, I'm having a nightmare trying to airbrush with Revell enamels.

Too little thinner and it simply won't flow, but then suddenly too much and it spiders. Just can't seem to get the right balance. :confused:

I usually use Humbrol and WEM colourcoats and get on fine with them, but for some reason I just can't get on with the Revell enamels. Has anyone any ideas or experience? Many thanks!

PS: Am using an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse and spray between 15-20 psi.

Hi XL929,

I always use enamels, Revell, Humbrol, Xtracolor just my preference. For thinning I use a QD Thinner which I purchase from a local paint supplier.

It cost about £25 per gallon and lasts years.

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...