Moebius Viper II

spitfire23bc

Well, the butchering of the nozzles has finished for now, aided by a shiny new dremel. They're ready for PE and paint. I'll have to put something behind them as well, or I'll be able to see right through the insides of the model. I may use the blueish inserts that came with the photoetch (intended for use with lighting), or else just put some black panels in.

IMG_1561.jpg

That mod looks great, JMChladek. I wasn't planning on doing that, and have now decided to use the female pilot from the Mk.VII - her arm is held much further out, so I don't think I'll be able to come up with anything useful. However, I may attempt this when I come to build the Mk.VII using the pilot from the Mk.II. For now, I'll pretend she's holding something.

On that note, here they are side-by-side. I wasn't too impressed with the new pilot (on the right). The Mk.II resin figure is very nicely molded, but the Mk.VII injection-molded figure just didn't seem quite as nice, and the fit isn't as good. Nevertheless, I'm pleased I managed to get them looking similar.

IMG_1563.jpg

For reference, the colours used are:

- Humbrol 226 for the flight suit

- Humbrol 119 for the bits on the back

- Humbrol 142 for the waistcoat base, and then I mixed in some 33 for the upper bits, buckles and glove trim

- Humbrol 31 + 33 for the gloves and boots

- Alclad black primer and aluminium for the helmet

All was given a healthy spray with Promodeller dark wash after Klear and decals were applied.

Dan

I see what you mean! Granted that partially comes down to the limitations of injection tooling versus resin and I am glad there is at least a female option. But, I admit with those big shoulders, the female version of the pilot kind of looks like a big burly Russian woman (the kind that could kill you with a bear hug).

Still, it should look just fine in the cockpit from what I am seeing.

Beaut work Dan but that second pilot really does look like a Russian shot putter!

Paul Harrison

Thanks folks.

No photos of progress, but I'm in the process of painting the wings and fuselage - it seems to take forever to get decent coverage with white paint...

The engine nozzles have been painted with various Alclads and are waiting for the fuselage to be painted up before I attach them (might need some more filling there :undecided: ).

My current plan is to paint on the red stripes, as I think this will look better (and be easier to weather) than the decals, but I'm a little unsure as to whether or not the wing insignia provided will show up. Any wisdom on that, anyone?

Also, what's the best way of airbrushing red paint? Straight onto the white? Or should I put down a coat of something darker first, like the Alclad grey I use for everything else?

Dan

Hi Dan. I think I'd be inclined to spray the red over the top of the white.

With a grey undercoat, it may take several coats to get good coverage and then you can end up with a horrible step once you remove the masking.

Hmm, I don't think I'm going to get this one finished by the deadline - life seems to have got in the way a bit.

One of these days I'll actually finish a group build within the timeframe...

Coming along nicely. How are you going to chip the red?

My plan is to take some micromesh to it along with salt-masking for a coat of Tamiya Smoke weathering and pastel scorch marks.

Dan

Hmm, I don't think I'm going to get this one finished by the deadline - life seems to have got in the way a bit.

My plan is to take some micromesh to it along with salt-masking for a coat of Tamiya Smoke weathering and pastel scorch marks.

Dan

Keep going with it even if you don't make the end of the GB, I want to see what it's like all finished

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

I'm being held up, waiting for some more paint to arrive.

I'm planning to do oil washes as well and they take a week to dry, so I'll be missing the end date, too.

Nice work! You're right the PE really does wonders to the cockpit. Have you figured out the piping on the engine cut-outs? I had a terrible time with those and ended up building the piping from scratch with pins and bits of wire.

This is also a model that cries out for lighting. With the PE set, you're halfway there. I used fiber-optics for the wing tip lights and some careful dremeling, a spare head (just the face) and an LED Christmas tree light behind the head to light the helmet!

If you haven't got there yet, make sure you test fit the engine panels before assembly. It's not quite as simple as it looks and you may be in for some serious seam filling.

• 2 months later...