Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Jamieb

* 1:35 Sd Kfz 251/3

Recommended Posts

Well I finally started. For a change of pace I thought I would begin with the base for my 251. The kit is a MiniArt diorama base and upon opening the box I was greeted with vac form walls and base. eek. never having dabbled in vac-form it worried me, especially the walls as you have to get your 'cutting out' right or fitting the two halves together would be a nightmare.

251base2.jpg

As a way of chickening out of the vac-form walls, I decided to trim the base and that rather than a diorama I would just have a scene to display the kit in context. As a mount for the base I took a picture frame, removed the glass, and PVA glued the backboard into the frame to give the base something to be mounted on.

251base1.jpg

I painted the cobbles with Tamiya German Grey XF-63 lightened with Tamiya Buff XF-57, and the pavement just with Buff. Some cobbles were picked out with brick reds and earth browns to give a little texture. I then added a black acrylic wash followed by dry brushing, then a light wash of Tamiya Buff lightened with white was carefully put into the cracks between the cobbles. To finish the base off I added a bent barrel and some cat litter 'rubble'.

251base3.jpg

The white here is PVA that I used to smooth the edge of the filler I built up under the pavement area.

251base4.jpg

I am quite happy with this, on with the half-track!

Edited by Jamieb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nice work Jamie.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I will get images here instead of links soon, am having trouble with Photobucket so have used flickr... from which i cant seem to get anything but a link... then again IT isn't my strong point.

Edited by Jamieb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am liking that a lot Jamie. :clap2:

Looking forward to the next update.

Deacon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind words chaps, hopefully tomorrow will be a snow day and i can get some more done :santa:

Hello Jamieb. How did you find the miniart kit? Are they a bit flimsy? Do the parts fit together well?

The Mini art kit is good, it has great detail but would (in my opinion) always need a base to mount it on, the light vac-form base alone would be a little 'wobbly'. The walls need careful removal from the vac-form sheet and some sanding which I didn't really want to spend the time doing, hence me trimming the base so as to include the main road surface and pavement.

I think the fit of the wall parts would depend on how cleanly they had been removed form the vac-form sheet.

The fit of the lamp parts was ok, it had no location pins just two smooth surfaces to glue together. I used humbrol liquid poly and squeezed it together to get a small seem, i then sanded the seem to give a really clean join with no obvious join line.

In the distant past I used to make my own bases from plaster moulds... this is much easier and less messy.

Edited by Jamieb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it has been a while, but i have managed to get some more time at the work bench in an attempt to catch up with all you guys.

I have added a couple of figures to the diorama - two suitable german infantry one a MB figure modified to have him picking up his ammo, the second a tristar figure built as is checking his watch. Both have added equipment form both tamiya and verlinden. They were nice and easy to put together although i am buying shares in squadron green putty as i used a lot for the bending over guy.

IMG20110109_007.jpg

IMG20110109_006.jpg

I also got a start on the 251, i believe the kit is a revell issue of the older zvezda offering, but the detail is sharp and flash minimal. I have to say the fit isn't great so far, and there was 'some' swearing with getting the chassis together. I have also added the verlinden engine detail.

IMG20110110_001.jpg

more updates soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a bit of a momment, while trailing t'interweb for pics info and pointers i found the perth modelling site... it seems my 251 B kit has the interior of the 251 C. (Which i have fully installed and started painting with some nice photo etch and resin).

The 251C didnt come out till 1941/2 (as far as i can see) so there is no way my 251B could have even been upgraded (as some were) till at least then. My kit as i have built it can't be acurate for the time frame for the GB. I will finish it and post up the pics, but request that the build isn't included in the gallery or competition.

I think that Revell should have updated this from the Zvezda kit or not re-issued it, selling as a 251B is misleading and it has made me grumpy:angrysoapbox.sml: even an update in the instructions would have saved it.. but no, nothing.

The exterior is good but the interior is so different that the seats and benches aren't correct.. the stowage bins aren't even supposed to be in there.

I am annoyed, but will continue the build but will request the mods move it to a regular thread and out of the group builds.

Sorry guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×