Open Canopy Model

DAG058

I've been making models for a few years now but I've never modelled one with an open canopy. The main reason for this is I don't know how to go about it. I am currently building an Airfix 1/48 Lightning and I have decided it's finally time to try it.

So my question for you is what is the process?

I've painted the cockpit and built the model to the stage where it is now ready for primer. Do I now attached the canopy, mask and airbrush it as per normal, then cut it off again? Or do I leave it off and paint it separately, and mask the cockpit?

I hope this makes sense! Thank in advance for any help.

When I do this I attach using white glue. It is fairly easy to pop the canopy off after painting, then reattach in the open position.

Otherwise, mask the cockpit off to ensure no overspray gets into it, and then attach the canopy in open position at end.

Check some of the RFI threads for an open canopy model, and see if they have a link to their WIP thread. That'll show you how they did it.

Tim

• Like 1

I mask off the cockpit and paint the canopy separately, although I might try the white glue method in the future.

Here's a Mirage F1 in 1/48th I did last year showing the canopy masked off:

Dassault_Mirage_F1C_ESCI_windscreen_fitt

I used a combination of sponge and tape to mask off a P-47 I did earlier this year:

Republic_P-47D_Jugs_over_Italy_tail_pain

And finally my Hasegawa A-7D build at the end of 2005 (masked off the cockpit with tamiya tape):

Vought_A-7D_Corsair_II_Molar_Marauder_fr

• Like 1

For me It depends on the type of canopy. In any event I'll cut the moving part(s) from the fixed area before any attachment. For a sliding canopy, I'll attach the windshield to the airframe before painting so as to have a seamless appearance, then mask the clear areas, prime and paint. The sliding area would be masked and painted separately then attached to the airframe in the open position. For your Lightning (as well as the P-38 Lightning) I would do the same - separate the canopy parts, fix the windshield in place, mask, paint, and finally glue the upward moving portion into position. For the EE Lighting I would also spend a little time before painting making some form of hinge looking attachment piece from scrap and do a trial fit to save some work afterwards and to avoid damaging the finished paint job..Tissue paper stuffed into the cockpit generally does a find job of protecting all your cockpit detail from overspray.

• Like 1