1:144 Draw Decals. Frontier 'Perry' Puffin. A319

Viking

Frontier 'Perry' Puffin

1:144 Draw Decal

Perry3.jpg

Frontier Airlines operate a large fleet of 35 Airbus A319's and 19 A320's on routes around the USA, Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic. Each aircraft has a name and features a large photographic image of an animal on its tail, a whole range being used
As noted on the instructions, 'Perry the Puffin' had a fairly short tour at Frontier, arriving in May 2006 and departing in March 2009.

Among the latest releases from Draw Decals is this very attractive scheme for one of Frontiers 'Logojets', featuring Perry the Puffin. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to build it. Puffins are comical looking birds, stocky with short stubby wings and brightly coloured feet and beaks. They are great divers and can 'fly' underwater down to about 200 ft to catch fish and sand eels. Tough and hardy little birds, I like their 'attitude' and have tried several times to spot them along various parts of the coast of the UK, but so far been unlucky.

Printed by Draw's 'Digital Silk' process, the decals are neatly presented on a sheet of continuous film. The first thing that you notice is the beautifully printed Puffin. It is like a perfect photograph, with pin sharp focus and registration and the colours are spot on. The large Frontier logos are printed with the door outlines already on them, which is a great aid to getting them lined up correctly on the model. Cabin windows are supplied in strips so you have the choice to fill the kit windows and use them, or leave the kit windows open and fill them with kristal kleer or similar. Similarly the cockpit glazing is supplied if you prefer this method. Various smaller details for static ports, overwing emergency exits, and engine cowlings complete the set.

Perry2.jpg

I have used Draw Decals on several of my projects, and advise that you read and follow their application instructions for a first class result. This means cutting closely around each decal, and soaking it in very hot water. Once applied to the model the really key thing is to apply heat to it with a cloth dipped in hot water. I use a folded wad of kitchen paper and dip it in very hot water, and then press down on the decal sitting on the model. Do it in such a way that any hot water that squeezes out of the paper runs down and away from your fingers. This way the decals will conform to any curvature and 'weld' themselves onto the underlying paint work. Most impressive of all is the way that the carrier film just vanishes.

Perry4.jpg

Such was my enthusiasm for these decals that I started preparing a Revell A319 whilst awaiting their arrival. It is a very simple scheme of a white fuselage, 2 tone grey wings, and green engine cowlings, so makes a good choice for a beginner or intermediate modeller. This should be appearing in the 'Ready for Inspection' section fairly soon.

[EDIT] Now in Ready For Inspection [/EDIT]

Perry5.jpg

Draw Decals do several other Frontier animals, as well as a large range of other airlines and aircraft types. Their website is well worth taking a look at. Finally I would say that Draw Decals are one of the 'Gold standard' decal suppliers. We sometimes hear horror stories concerning overseas decal companies. Have no fear, Draw's service is top quality, so you can order with confidence. And they even come over to visit us every year at Telford!

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of
draw%20decal%20copy.jpg

• Like 1