One month left... Can I still Play?

Only one month left...

Can I still play?

I am REALLY going to try get my stalled build at ARC Forum's Knights of the Sky GB from last year restarted.

My virgin attempt at a WWI string bag had started well, I enjoyed building the 1/32 Academy Nieuport 17 (probably too much...intention to OOB quickly became OTT), out of stream and stopped dead way before the dateline.

This is where it got to on 22nd August, 2009 before the bits got packed up and forgotten.

IMG_5942.jpg

I'd say the kit is pretty much still in its component form. What do you think?

Cheers,

Tom

Only one month left...

Can I still play?

I am REALLY going to try get my stalled build at ARC Forum's Knights of the Sky GB from last year restarted.

My virgin attempt at a WWI string bag had started well, I enjoyed building the 1/32 Academy Nieuport 17 (probably too much...intention to OOB quickly became OTT), out of stream and stopped dead way before the dateline.

This is where it got to on 22nd August, 2009 before the bits got packed up and forgotten.

IMG_5942.jpg

I'd say the kit is pretty much still in its component form. What do you think?

Cheers,

Tom

Looks ok to me - you should have enough time to get it finished and you'll be in the company of several kits in the scale - what markings are you going to finish it in?

Looks ok to me - you should have enough time to get it finished and you'll be in the company of several kits in the scale - what markings are you going to finish it in?

Thanks!

The imperative word is "should" have enough time... :shocked:

I had in this mind

CapturedNieuport17pilotedbyLtJoseSa.jpg

And, this AeroMaster 1/48 sheet to work from...

AMD48504_1.jpg

"Should" be a piece of cake to scale it up and mask that comet...

Cheers,

Tom

I hope you can complete this one as those markings look realy nice.

I hope so too!

Just to give you guys an idea of what I have done last year before the build was abandoned.

IMG_5775.jpg

The framing jig was a photocopied Rosendaal's Das Nieuport-Jagdflugzeug scaled up to 1/32.

templateplasticcardandkitpart1.jpg

My 1/48 Eduard Nieuport 17 PE fret was scaled up to 1/32 and used as a template to punch out the holes on a very thin plastic card to simulate the plywood seat back.

IMGThrottleQuandrantAssembly.jpg

The Academy throttle quandrant assembly looked nothing like the real thing, so I scratched my own.

IMG_5918.jpg

I started the MG pintle mount before I realised not much could be seen when the fuselage is closed up.

Cheers,

Tom

Time for an update...

According to Windsock's photograph of the actual aircraft, the wings have transparent panels over the central portion of the upper wings like this

eduardnieuport17transparentwingpane.jpg

photo of someone else's previous 1/48 scale Eduard build borrowed for illustration.

The actual internal structure is shown in Mark Millers's excellent rendering

0n17w2.jpg

Like any newbie worth his salt, I gamely took on the challenge of duplicating that. Carved the cavity out of the kit's solid upper wing, filed the edges until the wing spar and ribs are paper thin... things went swimmingly well :speak_cool: until I snapped one of the "wing ribs" :banghead:. No photo to show now, I am going to lie low and lick my wounds while the cryo settles.

Also fixed the broken (during "wood staining") fuselage structural frame while at it with the cryo.

I am going to move on next to the rotary engine if this Nieuppy is going to have a chance.

Cheers,

Tom

Like any newbie worth his salt, I gamely took on the challenge of duplicating that. Carved the cavity out of the kit's solid upper wing, filed the edges until the wing spar and ribs are paper thin... things went swimmingly well :speak_cool: until I snapped one of the "wing ribs" :banghead:. No photo to show now, I am going to lie low and lick my wounds while the cryo settles.

Uploaded some photos.

S6301203.jpg

Actually, doesn't look half as bad in broad day light...

originallowerwings.jpg

The wing ribs were sanded down because I thought the kit's wing ribs looked "a bit too obvious".

surfacedlowerwings.jpg

The idea is to sand down the kit's overstated ribs and even out the edges of the Mr Surfacer so that one gets the taut tensioned canvas look...

correctedwingslooktautnow.jpg

You can't see much from my lousy photo. I sanded the area between the ribs as well. If you run your finger over the wing surface, you could actually appreciate the undulating contour. I am sure it is scale correct for a doped fabric stretched over the internal ribbings finish... but, the effect is too subtle. I probably wouldn't do it again with the benefit of hindsight!

Cheers,

Tom